This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Summer has come, and Tokyo has basically turned into an oven. When it’s this hot I usually find myself with absolutely no appetite what so ever. Still, the allure of these decadent doughnuts remains and I find myself with an iced coffee and a doughnut the size of my face at Dumbo Doughnuts and Coffee.

Dumbo Doughnuts and Coffee is a very small and very instagramable( in Japanese インスタ映え; insta-bae) cafe located Azabu in Minato ward, right in the heart of downtown Tokyo. The interior is somehow both sweet and sleek at the same time, and everything one might expect from an area as “oshare“(fashionable) as Azabu-Juban. Don’t be fooled by the typical instagram vibe created by the neon light and cute cups however, because the taste really holds up well beyond the point of cuteness and takes us straight into delicious doughnut heaven.

Photo by Heather Rocca 

The doughnut itself is pillowy soft and fluffy with just the right amount of chewiness. It’s not too oily despite being fried and not to sweet. This is all wonderfully complemented by the glace; the raspberry one is tart and packed full of flavour, and the caramel one is rich, creamy and oh so decadent. The full lineup of Doughnuts goes as follows at the moment; 

Cinnamon Sugar, Lemon Poppy seed, Toasted Coconut, Framboise(Raspberry), Almond Caramel, Passion fruit, Cheesecake, Matcha Cream Cheese, and Salted Chocolate Caramel. 

Photo by Ella Jacobson

Safe to say there is something for every taste here. The coffee at Dumbo is also delightfully strong and pairs well with the sweetness of the Doughnuts. If you are feeling a little bit extra naughty, you can get your doughnut with ice cream as well, basically resulting in the most ridiculously decadent ice-cream sandwich of your life. 

Opening hours are 9.00-19.00 every day, and takeout is also available in case there are no seats available, or if you just want to bring it out to enjoy somewhere else, or give it as a gift. Dumbo Doughnuts and Coffee is just a five minute walk away from Azabu-Juban station, or 20 minutes from either Hiro-o, Roppongi or Shibakoen station.

via Google Map

Born and raised in Sweden, but calling Japan her home now for the past five years. Ella is a senior student at Waseda University, SILS, majoring in culture and history. Main interests are food, taking way too long walks and hanging out in parks, reading a good book, going on hikes, and looking for the perfect spot to have a swedish 'fika'; a cup of coffe with a friend.