Christmas in Japan: Not So Single Friendly?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Christmas in Japan is a surprisingly romantic affair. While it is certainly a holiday where people celebrate with their loved ones, in Japan, there seems to be extra pressure to be in a romantic relationship by the time Christmas Eve rolls around. The reasoning is easy enough to understand. The holiday season just overflows with cozy vibes, twinkly lights and restaurants that are begging to be filled by Christmas couples. That’s all fine and dandy, but what about all of the singles out there? Is there shame in enjoying a “loveless” Christmas?

Photo by Tom Rickhuss on Unsplash

Recently, I was surprised to learn than many single people put in for work shifts on Christmas Eve in order to avoid the shame of spending the day completely alone. While making holiday money is definitely nice, there are many activities in Tokyo that everyone can enjoy no matter what their romantic situation may be. Taking in the beautiful Christmas illumination displays, eating some Christmas cake and shopping for gifts; the list of things to enjoy during the holiday season, single or not, is endless! 

With TV programs showing segments about where to take your date on Christmas Eve and how to make the evening especially romantic, it’s easy to feel left out of the Christmas spirit. Some refuse to be alone during the holidays and scramble to find someone to spend it with but I can’t help but feel like this only ruins the magic of the holiday season. Why stress out about finding “the one” before Christmas when you can easily enjoy the spirit of the season with good friends and family or even on your own? While Christmas in Japan may be ruled by couples, it’s important to remember that catching up on some me-time isn’t so bad and certainly shouldn’t be anything to be ashamed of. If you are planning to fly solo this holiday season, don’t be afraid to break away from the stigma of being single on Christmas and enjoy this festive season! 

Thanks for reading! :) 

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.