Campus Cutie – Haruna Morooka

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Name: Haruna Morooka

Nickname: Moka

Nationality: Japanese

Faculty: School of Culture, Media, and Society

Year: Junior

Relationship Status: Single

Hobbies: Travelling, fashion, arts and crafts

Haruna Morooka (left) pictured with her friend in Bali.

This picture was taking during Morooka’s seminar retreat in September.

How were you given the nickname “Moka”?

When I entered high school, in both my class and my club there were three different people named “Haruna”. My club sempai gave me the nickname! By the way, “Moka” is the abbreviated version of my last name, “Morooka”.

You mentioned that one of your hobbies is travelling. How many countries have you been to?

I have been to nine countries in total. I have been to Vietnam, Malta, America, Hong Kong, England, France, Taiwan, the Philippines (Manila and Boracay) and Indonesia (Bali).

Which was your favorite trip?

I honestly can’t decide. I have special memories for each trip, I like these places for different reasons and I can’t compare.

Please tell us about your style! What do you focus on? Where do you get your clothes?

It’s just my intuition. I don’t really think about anything. For some reason, every morning I have a “theme” for the day. I’m not exactly sure why, but preparing to leave the house everyday is fun. I buy my clothes from everywhere. I don’t really have a particular shop or place that I’ve decided on. However, I really like secondhand shops.

What do you think is the difference between Japanese fashion and foreigner’s fashion?

Foreigners don’t really mind the small details; I think that a lot of fashion from overseas is very simple. However, foreigners have beautiful faces and there are many foreigners with amazing fashion sense, so I think that even simple styles are cool. I’m really jealous of how they can put together their outfits so effortlessly. Japanese style, on the other hand, is full of personality. There isn’t one decided idea of oshare (お洒落) or style. Different people wear different clothing.

What are the qualities of your ideal boyfriend?

My ideal boyfriend is someone who is tall and stylish. But most importantly someone who I think I want to be with forever.

What is your ideal date?

It would be nice if it felt like he was a part of my family. We could relax at home and eat popcorn while watching a movie, or cook and eat together. It would also be nice if we could take a nice drive and have a relaxing day at Disneyland.