Book Recommendation: ‘Black Klansman’ by Ron Stallworth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Black Klansman, a true-story about a Black police detective who manages to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan, is an awe-inspiring story that will have readers blown away after only the first page. Some of you may be thinking, “how could a Black man possibly infiltrate the KKK without being noticed?” Ron Stallworth, the author and “Black Klansman” that this book speaks of, walks readers through every important (and sometimes hilarious) step that led him to pull off what seems to be such an impossible feat.

About Black Klansman

Stallworth’s one-of-a-kind story begins in October 1978 with a pull of curiosity and a simple mistake. A young detective in the Intelligence Unit of the Colorado Springs Police Department, Stallworth stumbles upon a newspaper ad by the KKK. Curious about where this thread could lead, Stallworth responds to the ad, posing as a White man interested in more information and… signs with his real name. The rest is history.

After receiving a response from a local Klan member, Ron Stallworth is launched into a full-blown “sting” that would eventually make him the “Black Klansman”. Of course, this wasn’t a mission that could be pulled off alone, and Stallworth makes sure to acknowledge the countless individuals that offered a helping hand along the way.

New cover of Black Klansman (Image courtesy of Audible.com)

My Take

While many readers may be enthralled by the details of this operation, I found that I was mostly in awe of Stallworth himself. Starting off as a young police Cadet, and one of the only minorities in the Colorado Springs Police Department, Stallworth faced numerous hurdles that would be enough to discourage any person. Instead, he stood his ground, brushing off the harsh words of the ignorant, unafraid to serve justice and pursue his dream career. Although his ability to launch such a dangerously ambitious operation is impressive in its own right, it is the relentless and unwavering quality of Stallworth’s resolve that leaves the most lasting impression. This may be because his stubbornness and quiet acts of “rebellion” communicate universal messages about never giving up and standing up for what we feel is right.

In this politically and socially fragile time, particularly for the United States, I find that this book is a breath of fresh air. Why? Because it offers hope. Hope that there are people out there who care and are willing to put in the work in order to pursue equality. Despite the countless waves of negativity that emanate from those who preach ignorance and attempt to break others with careless words, hope can be found in those like Stallworth who still believe in the power of the people. This belief is perfectly summed up with this quote at the end of the book:

“If one Black man aided by a bevy of good, decent, dedicated, open and liberal-minded Whites and Jews can succeed in prevailing over a group of White racists by making them look like the ignorant fools they truly were ( . . . ), then imagine what a nation of like-minded individuals could do.” (p. 271)

To the Silver Screen

Need another reason to read Black Klansman? It’s gonna be leaping onto the big screens this fall with a star-studded production cast and crew! Produced by Jordan Peele (Oscar award-winning genius behind Get Out) and directed by the incomparable Spike Lee, the film adaptation of Black Klansman will include talented actors like John David Washington (playing Stallworth), Adam Driver, and Laura Harrier, just to name a few.

The trailer has yet to be released, but that only means that you still have time to read the book!

An updated version of the book, Black Klansman: Race, Hate and the Undercover Investigation of a Lifetime, will be available from June 5th at Barnes & Noble, as well as on Amazon and Kindle.

Thanks for reading!

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.