5 Songs for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

It’s finally that time of the year! Sweater weather, hot cocoa, candy canes, happy times to spend with loved ones and most of all, Christmas music! Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, this list has some jams that everyone can enjoy during the holiday season! You may find some of your own holiday favorites! 

1. Last Christmas (Wham!)

This song is always a must when the holiday season swings around. Not too cheerful and not too wistful, this song is perfect for anyone who is looking for a Christmas jam to chill to.

Alternatively, give Carly Rae Jepsen’s version a listen for fresh take on this holiday classic.

2. Christmas Eve (Yamashita Tatsuro)

This song is ESSENTIAL for the Christmas in Japan. It’s impossible to walk around anywhere in Japan during the holiday season without hearing this catchy tune. Often associated with dramatic and adorable Christmas love stories, “Christmas Eve” is the perfect anthem for Christmas time lovers.

3. All I Want For Christmas is You (Mariah Carey)

Grab a candy cane, use it as a microphone and belt out this Christmas classic with your loved ones! All I want for Christmas is youuuu!

4. Senjou no Merry Christmas/ Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (Sakamoto Ryuichi)

This instrumental song is absolutely beautiful and relaxing. If you were to to imagine yourself watching snow fall quietly from the winter sky, this song would be the perfect BGM.

5. One Day I’ll Fly Away (Vaults)

Last but not least is a new tune that I’ve recently fallen in love with. Hauntingly beautiful, “One Day I’ll Fly Away” performed by Vaults will get you through the harshest winter nights.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays! :) 

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.