5 Canadian Treats You Never Knew You Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

1. Poutine

This mouth-watering mountain of fries and cheese curds dressed with a warm layer of gravy is one of Canada’s finest casual foods.  Enjoyable all year-round and available with a variety of ingredients, you’re bound to find your perfect match. A picture of my very Canadian meal can be seen below. Also, if you ever find yourself in Canada, I would recommend a trip to the nearest Smoke’s Poutinerie. 

2. BeaverTails

Worry not, this particular dessert does not consist of an actual beaver’s tail, but is named for its shape! Particularly popular during the winter season, it’s always a good day when you can get your hands on this doughy treat! This irresistible pastry comes in the form of lightly fried dough and can be decked out with toppings like cinnamon and sugar or even savory ingredients!

Great news! You can try BeaverTails out for yourself, right here in Tokyo! (I’m planning to head over there myself)

3. Maple fudge

When most people think of Canada, they probably think of maple syrup. Having spent some time in this wonderful country, I can confidently say that they have some of the best maple products I’ve ever tasted. Maple fudge is a definite must when sampling the wonders of maple products.

4. Maple cones

I received these as a parting gift from a good friend of mine, and I can’t seem to shake my desire for this heavenly creation.  These little cones, filled to the brim with mapley goodness, will surely keep you coming back for more.

5. All-dressed chips

Perhaps one of the best chip flavors I’ve ever encountered in my life, All-dressed chips are perfect for junk food lovers.  Described as a mix of barbecue, sour-cream and vinegar flavors, this bag of savory delights will give you the best of all worlds.

Of course, Canada and Canadian cuisine has far more to offer so I encourage you to explore this marvelous place for yourselves!

Thanks for reading! :)

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.