Why You Shouldn’t Skimp on Protein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Hey there Collegiettes, 

With new fad diet trends constantly popping up and your “health nut” friends constantly wanting to share their “nutrition expertise,” it can be easy to lose track of the important things that should be included in your diet. Let’s focus on the importance of protein: why it’s important and how much in general you should be consuming. 

So, why is protein important in your diet? 

Protein makes up nearly every cell in your bodies! It helps build and repair muscles and tissues and makes enzymes and hormones. Basically, it’s a pretty integral part of your body and should be a prominent part of your diet. A protein deficient diet can lead to a weakened immune system and muscles and can eventually become fatal. At the same time overloading on protein also presents several health risks such as heart disease, dehydration, and kidney troubles.

Ok, so now that you know why it’s important, how do you know if you are getting the right amount? 

Protein intake will be different for everyone, but the CDC on average recommends that protein make up about 15-30% of your daily diet. For most women, this is roughly 46g and 56 grams for most men. If you’re interested in learning more about exactly how much protein you need for your body, there are many online protein intake calculators  for help, but keep in mind the most accurate way to get this information is to consult with a doctor or dietician. Meet up with our on campus nutritionist, Kate Ruley

Now for probably the most important question: How do you get protein in your diet? Here is a list of yummy protein packed foods! 

• Eggs 
  • Greek yogurt 
  • Cheese 
  • Chocolate milk 
  • Lean meats (chicken, fish, turkey) 
  • Beans (garbanzo, kidney and black beans are my favorite!) – also Hummus!
  • Edamame 
  • Tofu 
  • Lentils 
  • Nuts and nut butters (almonds, peanuts, cashews etc.)
  • Chia seeds 
  • Pumpkin seeds 
  • Quinoa 
  • Protein powders and bars 

Happy eating!

Photos courtesy of:

http://www.girlsworkhard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/NBD-just-flexin-…

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3d/64/a6/3d64a6cf3c749b77f11eb…

SaveSave

Hi Demon Deacons! I'm Caroline and I'm a freshman here at Wake Forest. This year i'll be writing for "Haute and Healthy" and Campus Cutie! 
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest