What Freshman Year Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Hey collegiettes! I’ve had a good freshman year overall, but I’m definitely ready for it to be over. As it ends, I thought I’d share some things that I’ve learned about college in general:

1. It’s normal for things to not go as planned.

Whether it be academically or socially, I found that many things don’t go as planned. Friend groups change and the laziness to not do homework can kick in at any time. But this is just how it is! it happens to everyone at different times! And it’s ok. College is about more than adapting for the first month or so. It’s about adapting to whatever happens each day and believing in yourself to make things work.

2. Your involvement in clubs/organizations can make change happen

Whether you have “experience” or not, if you’re in a club or organization and you have a vision or idea, share it (please!) and push for it. Every group on this campus has the potential to grow and to be known, but the only way to do this is to act on new and fresh perspectives and ideas. The more you put into your extra-curricular activities, the more you, and everyone else on campus, will get out of them.

3. If it’s nice outside, do something outside

My SO and I spent a lot of time outside during Easter weekend and I must say, that it was the most relaxing time I’ve had all semester. Wake has quads, tables, Ping-Pong, and board games outside for a reason! I’ve found that being outside makes me happier and makes me feel more connected to campus. Take advantage of the upcoming warm weather and study, play, workout, eat and nap outdoors!

4. Getting out of your comfort zone is so important

This is probably the most important thing I’ve learned since coming to Wake. College is literally a set-up for you to try new things and to grow as a person. If you continue to do the same things all of the time, you’ll never be able to experience all of college! Put yourself out there and explore everything that this campus has to offer!

Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!