Wake’s Most Unpretentious Socialite: Meet Derrica Barbee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

You might not know her, but you definitely know of her. Derrica Barbee is a famous face on this campus and truly epitomizes the term Campus Celeb.

Derrica is a junior from Burlington, North Carolina and is double majoring in math and communication with a minor in entrepreneurship. She is a Chi Omega and, bluntly, is one of the most recognizable figures at Wake.

There are also definitely a few things that the average Deac does not know about Derrica. As the oldest of five children, she is used to being surrounded by people 24/7. Her mom is her best friend – they have been mistaken as sisters before.

Interjection: at this point in our conversation, we have already veered off topic to talk about me twice. “It’s because I care about other people more than me,” Derrica innocently explained.

And it shows: during the interview Derrica was constantly looking around the room, asking question after question about my family, hobbies and friends. It was like I was the one being interviewed.

When we finally got back on topic, I was dying to know about her social life. I began with the Derrica’s number one domain: the Pit. As a freshman, Derrica had unlimited meal swipes – thus, her love of the Fresh Food Company began. One time she even spent four and a half hours at a Pit-sit. She doesn’t actually eat at the Pit that often anymore — she is much more of a Shorty’s girl, but of course she still swipes into the Pit to socialize.

Derrica’s big personality is one of her most dominant traits. But Derrica is not always so social—sometimes she is just as happy to eat alone as she is to eat with a huge group. She said the social expectations of entertaining and impressing with her big personality actually get to her from time to time.

Regardless, she really is the ultimate extrovert. Derrica is one of Chi Omega’s most famous faces. Everyone wants to know her, and those who do know her want to be her.

But what pushed Derrica into going Greek in the first place? “I think it actually decided me,” she said when asked about why she decided to go through fall recruitment. She still loves the unaffiliated life though, and Derrica likes to think of herself as a bridge between independent and affiliated.

Obviously Chi Omega is not Derrica’s only activity – she is also a Young Life Leader, citing it as one of her most rewarding experiences. Although it has been a challenge, YL is something that Derrica truly values. The high school at which Derrica is placed has a diverse population with inner city kids as well as wealthy kids, so finding a balance in such a group can be tough, said Derrica. Young Life’s most important outcome for Derrica is keeping her faith on the forefront of her mind. Faith is incredibly important to Derrica, and when her faith is out of whack, nothing seems to make sense

The most fascinating and impressive components of Derrica’s personality are still to come. Totally unprompted, she says to me: “You want to know the real D?” Uh, duh!

According to Derrica, she is social when it’s called for, and she really does love people. She wants to help people and has a deep love for God, but she’s no Bible pusher.

She doesn’t need to be social, though, and sometimes the best thing for her to do is just be alone. As an accomplished musician who plays three instruments (piano, violin and drums), sometimes the best thing for her is to simply play and relax. She is nerdy at heart (and a really good student).

Social statuses and standards do not play a significant role in her life, and material items are irrelevant. She is an intentional friend, always choosing her friends carefully and keeping them close, as she always stays genuine to herself.

Derrica is a real and honest person who is beautiful inside and out. The light inside Derrica shines unusually bright. Despite her modest and humble ways, she is everything a campus celebrity should be.

*Photography by Karleigh Ash.

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.