This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

This past weekend was a big one for Wake Forest sports, as the Demon Deacons hosted NC State at BB&T Field Saturday night and Columbia at Spry Stadium on Sunday. Saturday night’s football game was a special one for many Wake Forest students, as it was Senior Day for the football players and the last home game for all senior students. The Wake Forest football team showed up ready to take on the 19th ranked NC State and proved capable of taking down a Top 25 opponent in front of an excited crowd.

While quarterback John Wolford has been the star of the highlight reels the past few weekends, it was the Wake Forest defense shining under the lights in BB&T Saturday. Twice in the last two minutes of the game, the Wake Forest defense broke up potentially game-winning plays for the Wolfpack. However, the offense continued to make big plays as well, as Tabari Hines, a junior wide receiver, caught three touchdown passes and totaled 139 yards for the Deacons. John Wolford continued to make his mark, throwing for 247 yards, including three touchdown passes. The Deacons finish out the regular season on November 25 against Duke, another ACC and in-state opponent.

( Quarterback John Wolford) 

( Defensive Player Demetrius Kemp)

On Sunday night, the Deacs hosted Columbia in the second round of the NCAA Men’s Soccer Championship. Both teams played terrific defense, as the Deacs were limited to only nine shots and the Columbia Lions had six. It was a hard-fought game, however things started to get particularly physical as the clock ticked down in the second half. With less than two minutes left, Michael DeShields was tackled in the box, giving the Deacs an opportunity to score off a penalty kick. Senior Jon Bakero easily put away the game-winning penalty shot. The Lions continued to fight until the end, testing the defense and goalkeeper Andreu Cases Mundet with two shots in the final minute. However, the Deacons prevailed in front of a packed stadium and will continue in the NCAA Championship, hosting Butler on Sunday, November 26th.

( Forward, Jon Bakero)

(Goalkeeper Andreu Cases Mundet )

As the holidays are rapidly approaching, so are some of the biggest games of the year for the men’s soccer and football teams. Make sure to support your Deacs in the postseason, whether you’re at the game or watching from afar!

Freshman at Wake Forest University from Gainesville, FL. Lover of dogs, pasta, and college sports.  
Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!