UpDog Kombucha: Meet Founders Olivia Wolff and Lauren Miller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.
“College” and “healthy” are not two words frequently used in the same sentence, unless that sentence also includes the word “struggle.” Wake Forest students Olivia Wolff and Lauren Miller are looking to make this portrayed impossibility a new reality for students with their start-up business UpDog Kombucha. Before we dig into the details, let’s start with a quick lesson on the question I know must be burning in your minds: What the Deac is kombucha? The answer is less complicated than you’d think — it’s tea! Fermented tea, that is. Kombucha is made using brewed tea and sugar that is then fermented with SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast.) The yeast in the SCOBY eats away the sugar in the tea and creates a fizzy drink full of healthy enzymes and bacteria. This is then flavored by adding fruit juice, and after a few additional days of fermentation, the yeast eats away the sugar in the juice so that you’re left with a low sugar, fruity drink that makes a healthy alternative to soda. 

So how did two college girls get to brewing the “booch?”

“We started out just wanting to brew for ourselves, and when word got out, our friends encouraged us to start brewing in bulk and selling,” Wolff told Her Campus. From there, it grew into a business, and now the young entrepreneurs are brewing and selling over 100 bottles a week.

“It’s fun to experiment with flavors, and [it is] so exciting that a hobby has been turned into a business,” said Miller. The process has become systematic, with flavor selections inspired by other kombucha companies and the goal of utilizing seasonal fruits and customer favorites. One of the most recent batches included blueberry mint, peach basil, and apple ginger.

Better yet, graduation does not mean the end of this budding business. Senior Olivia and junior Lauren are in the process of growing their start-up by gaining access to a commercial kitchen and becoming certified. Their hopes for the future include selling kombucha by the keg or the growler to reduce waste, and to get people excited about a trendy yet sustainable way of purchasing kombucha. With time, their goal is to have kegs distributed to local restaurants in the Winston-Salem area. So keep your eyes peeled for UpDog on tap at your favorite small-town eateries. Check out UpDog Kombucha on Facebook and Instagram for more information and ordering details.

* Article by Kelly Andrew
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus