Traveling in Style: Thanksgiving Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Halloween has come and gone, and as we acclimate to the cold and the dark (thank you, Daylight Savings Time), it’s time for something new to look forward to. Next on my list? Thanksgiving. I’m more than ready for a real break, home cooking, family time and pumpkin pie. It all sounds heavenly after three months of the usual fall semester chaos.

However, there is an obstacle standing between me and my favorite holiday. Besides two more weeks of classes, I’m dreading the trip home. As any Demon Deacon who calls a far away city home can attest, flying at Thanksgiving is a stressful undertaking. I’m from Massachusetts, and I’m a bit of a pessimist, which is why I can’t help but imagine all the things that could go wrong between Greensboro and Boston, leaving me stranded in an airport terminal in Philadelphia, Washington D.C., or New York for Thanksgiving…

*Photo from popsugar.com.

The good news is that the chances of being stranded are pretty slim (there’s always MegaBus). The bad news is that knowing you’re going to make it home doesn’t make the journey any shorter or less hectic. But there’s more good news, because dressing for success isn’t just for exams and job interviews, it works for airports too!

Here are a couple of suggestions that will help you travel in serene style:

• Check the weather. Conditions at your starting point and destination may affect your flights, but they’ll definitely affect what you need to pack. If you’re heading North you may need a heavier jacket than you’ve been wearing around campus. Coats are great for staying warm in chilly terminals, and using as pillows on long flights.
  • Pack light. The last thing you want to deal with is big, heavy bags when you’re running to catch a flight. Try to be realistic about what you’ll actually wear while you’re home; if you’re like me it’s going to be a weekend of leggings, baggy tees, and your sister’s UGG boots.
  • Layer like a pro. Airplanes have two temperatures, sweltering and freezing, and you’ll be much more comfortable if you can adjust. Additionally, if you’re packing clothes or shoes that take up a lot of suitcase space consider wearing them when you travel to lighten your load.
  • Go incognito. As much as I love being a Deac, college kids in general have a weird reputation for being annoying when they fly. The last thing I need to go with my imagined travel nightmares is additional sass. This one is up in the air though: some students love repping Wake or their Greek letters around the country and meeting alumni in unexpected places.

*Photo from dailymail.co.uk.

I can’t help much with overbooked flights, middle seats, and crying children, but at least you can deal with them in style. Have a great November, collegiettes, we’re almost there!

*Cover photo from imnotobsessed.com.

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.