Rock the Look: Five Hot Styles for Five Hot Concerts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

With summer only four weeks away, it is almost time to pack up those winter sweaters and ship them back home. To me, summer means returning to lazy beach days and spending more time with friends. But best of all, summer means an endless stream of concerts. Dressing for concerts during the summer can be a struggle; often you have to make the decision between dressing chic and dressing for the heat. But there’s no need to spend agonizing hours staring at your closet; I’ve broken down the coolest looks for this summer’s hottest concerts. Photo: Lauren Doolittle, ’15.

Iggy Azalea:

August 1st-3rd- Lollapalooza- Chicago, Illinois

Try to channel your inner Miley Cyrus from the “23” music video. While Miley might take the athletic look to the extreme, she’s got the basics down. The essentials for a rap concert are denim shorts, high top Converse or Nike kicks, and a snapback. Personally, I love throwing on a graphic tee like this with my cutoffs. Urban Outfitters is my one-stop shop for tees. You can even tie a plaid shirt around your waist for an edgier look.  A five-panel or snapback really finishes off this outfit and is also a good way to rep our Deacs! 

Viceroy:

June 13th- The Sinclair- Boston, Massachusetts

Viceroy is the dark horse of DJ’s. His motto is “summertime, all the time,” so when could be a more perfect time to start listening to his music than the beginning of summer? Dressing for an electronic/DJ concert is all about the crop top. A crop top is like fake eyelashes or press-on nails: great in theory but has the potential to go oh so wrong. The key to the crop top is wearing high-waisted shorts or a skirt that hits right below the top. My personal go to for these types of concerts is a black high-waisted leather skirt or cut-off shorts with a colorful short-sleeve crop top. This combination is perfect because its shows just the right amount of skin while still leaving something to the imagination. Photo: Anna Wood, ’16.

Grace Potter and The Nocturnals:

September 20th- Red Rocks Amphitheatre- Denver, Colorado

You may recognize her name from the duet with Tim McGraw, “You and Tequila,” but Grace Potter’s big voice and dynamic personality can stand alone. Grace Potter mixes her soulful and free-spirited lyrics with powerful guitar lines. I often flip through the most recent Free People catalog when trying to find inspiration for this type of concert. I find that maxi dresses are the best fit for these concerts. The maxi offers a fashionable look without losing the comfort. If it is cold out, just add a leather jacket for a more rock n’ roll look. If you are going for the more casual look, opt for denim shorts and white t-shirt. And of course, a wide brimmed hat adds a more bohemian flair without looking like you’re trying too hard.

The Classic Music Festival:

One true mark of summer is the seemingly infinite number of music festivals. Standard attire for music festivals is perfectly worn-in cutoffs and a crocheted top over a killer bathing suit. If you’re not ready to fully commit to this style, I think another way to keep it stylish is wearing all white. Combining a pair of white jean shorts with a romantic flowing white top (picture Romeo and Juliet) is a perfect way to stay cool with less of the risk. Pair with a gladiator sandal and beachy waves for your hair. This is a classic look that will have you standing out for all the right reasons. Another way to add to your look is by adding simple and delicate body paint. Free People recently came out of with a line of festival paint that is easy to apply and will have you desert bound in no time.

Darius Rucker:

July 7th- Wolf Trap National Park- Vienna, VA

Darius Rucker is coming to Wolf Trap in Vienna, Virginia (right outside of Washington, D.C.) this summer. If you’ve never had the chance to go to a concert at Wolf Trap, it is something you want to add to your bucket list. Wolf Trap is a venue with both indoor and outdoor seating, and one of the only venues where you can still pack a cooler with food and all your favorite drinks. It’s also the perfect setting for a country music concert. The standard outfit for any country music concert tends to be denim shorts, white tank top, and cowboy boots. Coming from New England, this is not a look I always feel like I can pull off.  Try a white, off the shoulder, eyelet dress, which will match with any boot and you’re good to go. It is the perfect amount of country without feeling too forced.  If you feel like you need to embrace your inner Miranda Lambert, just add a cowboy hat! Photo: Alex Zblyski ’15.

*Article by Meghan Loose

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.