Reflections On An Anti New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Instead of writing out a long list of resolutions that I probably won’t accomplish, I chose to reflect on my past, current, and future life situation(s).

I think focusing on my current self is the most rewarding because I think it’s important to think on the present in order to determine how likely, or possibly unlikely, I am to achieve the future goals I set for myself. The present becomes a benchmark for both my past and my future,

The time that I spent reflecting on my actions, behavior, and attitude allowed me to confront the good and bad qualities that I possess. This was honestly a challenging step but the most difficult part was utilizing discernment as best as I could to make the decision to either accept or change certain characteristics. I can change my mind somewhere along the line, but often times that change of heart is the result of making a mistake which could have been avoided. But we all learn from mistakes, right?

The events of Jan 19/20th on campus have really pushed me to continue to self-reflect, but also think about how my self-reflection can push me towards changing the community around me. Learning more and more about myself allows me to also learn about my surroundings and take a closer look at my reality. Reality is never perfect, but sometimes it invokes optimism.

Mia Wilson

Wake Forest

Mia Wilson is a senior English and French double major at Wake Forest University. When not in class or studying frantically, she enjoys working out in the gym, catching up on the latest fashion trends and napping. Her hobbies include traveling, her Maltese Nahla and drinking Starbucks. Catch her on Instagram @mwilson__14
Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!