Recruitment Tips From the Ones Who Know It Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As the air turns crisp and the semester draws to a close campus is buzzing with an air of finals anxiety and holiday excitement. Amidst studying and making plans for break, any first year Deac has surely thought at least once about the week that awaits them upon their return to the Forest: Recruitment. Are you worried? Don’t be! Many interpret this time as a nerve-wracking and exhausting four days with the promises of new adventures to come if you can only make it out with a bid. But the hype around recruitment makes it out to be far scarier than it truly is. If sorority is all about women empowering their sisters to be the best they can be, then Recruitment is the first steps to finding your new home. Don’t believe us? Here’s some advice from some outstanding sorority women fresh off of their presidencies whose experience is second to none.

Jaime Spruce

Sorority: Delta Zeta

Hometown: Long Grove, IL

Major: Accounting

Her Campus (HC): What is the best piece of advice you have to offer to PNM’s (Potential New Members) as they head into Recruitment?

Jaime Spruce (JS): I would tell PNM’s to relax as they head into recruitment. Just be yourself. We’re just as nervous on our side to meet all of you, so just try to be natural and enjoy the week; everyone ends up where they’re supposed to be!

HC: What is your favorite Greek Life Memory?

JS: My favorite Greek Life memory was living on our sorority halls. Our halls are open to all grades, so it’s been a really great way for me to meet girls in all different pledge classes, and it’s always so fun when we’re getting ready for date functions together or just watching movies in the lounge.

HC: What does your sorority mean to you?

JS: My sorority has been so important to my experience at Wake Forest. It was really cool for me to meet so many girls that I wouldn’t have otherwise met who will be my lifelong friends. Also, being the President of DZ taught me so many life skills that I’ll be able to use in my future and will be forever grateful for.

Katherine von der Linde

Sorority: Kappa Beta Gamma

Hometown: Madison, NJ

Major: English

HC: What is the best piece of advice you have to offer to PNM’s as they head into Recruitment?

Katherine von der Linde (KV): It’s easy to get caught up in the pressure of recruitment, so it’s important to recognize that every organization is wonderful in its own way. This is such an incredible university filled with thoughtful, involved, and inspiring people, so it’s not worth stressing too much over where you might end up.  As far as the actual recruitment parties go, I recommend keeping a super corny joke in your back pocket in case conversation lags or you just want to show off how hilarious you are. 

HC: What is your favorite Greek Life memory?

KV: One of my favorite parts of being involved in Greek Life was definitely living on the halls with my pledge class sophomore year. It gave me the chance to build lasting friendships with members of my organization that I may have never truly gotten to know had it not been for the opportunity to live together.

KV: As a midyear transfer student my freshman year, recruitment provided me with the perfect segue into life at Wake Forest.  Although I was initially intimidated by the whole process, my involvement with Greek Life has led to so many opportunities for growth, leadership, and other valuable experiences throughout my time at Wake Forest. My organization and the people I’ve been lucky enough to be surrounded by these past few years have helped me to grow as a person and as a leader in ways that I never thought possible. I will be forever grateful for that.

Jackie Kapinos

Sorority: Kappa Delta

Hometown: Randolph, NJ

Major: Politics and International Affairs with a double minor in English and Philosophy

Jackie Kapinos (JK): I know you’ve heard it before, but when you go through recruitment do not let stereotypes, your friends’ influence, or any negative “perceptions” of these sororities cloud your judgement. Go into recruitment with open eyes. Let each conversation be a new experience and honestly pick the sorority that you feel you connect with the most and had the best conversations with. On pref night look around you and think to yourself, “Can I see myself as part of this pledge class and are these girls going to accept me and bring out the best me I can be?” More than anything, don’t stress too much! You’ll be great.

JK: My favorite Greek Life memory is participating in Bid Day this past year as a sophomore. Not only is your whole sorority together and welcoming all of the new members that you’ve been recruiting all week, but you are able to see the happiness of every other sorority as well. You see girls running to each other and realize that the recruitment process really does work out. The excitement of this day is honestly so infectious. 

JK: My sorority is a place where I feel comfortable and at home. Through this organization I have found best friends that I know I will have for the rest of my life. They support me in everything that I do, including the friendships that I have with women in other sororities. The Greek community at Wake is extremely welcoming in that you aren’t secluded. You have multiple friends in multiple sororities. Your sorority is just always there to offer support and comfort when needed.

Frances Wells

Sorority: Kappa Kappa Gamma

Hometown: Baltimore, MD

Major: Psychology with a double minor in Biology and Chemistry

Frances Wells (FW): When choosing a sorority, look around the room at the older girls. If those are the type of women you want to be in a few years, that is the right sorority for you.

FW: Definitely getting my room trashed by my big.

FW: It means my best friends who inspire me every day.

Abby Nowak

Sorority: Alpha Delta Pi

Hometown: Houston, TX

Major: Business and Enterprise Management

Abby Nowak (AN): Definitely go into it with an open mind. It’s really easy to get caught up in the process and feel like you have to end up in one specific sorority or you have to go where all your friends go. At the end of the day, it’s a really personal process, and if you have an open mind and a good attitude you’re going to  end up exactly where you’re supposed to.

AN: As cheesy as it sounds, my favorite memories have been from just chilling on the halls. Whether we’re watching movies, getting ready to go out, or talking about boys, we always end up cracking up and having the best time. At the end of the day I look forward to going home and getting to see all my crazy roomies. 

AN: My sorority means so much more to me than I ever thought it would. Serving on the Executive Board and being the President have helped me learn so much about myself. I’ve developed as a leader and a person, and my sisters were there for me every step of the way. At the end of the day, my experiences in ADPi have shaped my college experience and what kind of person I’ll be even after I graduate. My sorority is my home away from home and I wouldn’t be where I am today without them by my side.

Emily Fitzgerald 

Sorority: Kappa Alpha Theta

Hometown: Dallas, Texas

Major: Finance

HC: What is the best piece of advice you have to offer to PNM’s as they head into recruitment?

Emily Fitzgerald (EF): Keep an open mind and enjoy the process! This is an incredible opportunity to meet the best and brightest women on Wake Forest’s campus. You will make so many connections beyond the organization you join.

EF: During our fall sisterhood retreat, we go to a sister’s farm for fall-themed activities. We had a relay race, cooked outside, had apple cider, and played with puppies! It is so relaxing to get away from campus and enjoy being together.

EF: My Theta sisters have seen my potential even when I don’t. As cheesy as it is, I would not be the woman I am today without the love and support of my sisters. For me, joining Theta means surrounding yourself with people who will support you in becoming the best version of yourself.

Photos courtesy of:

Jamie Spruce, Jackie Kapinos, Abby Nowak, and Emily Fitzgerald

Kelly Andrew

Wake Forest

Just an Arizona girl who loves her birkenstocks 
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest