The Rainy Day Shoes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

So it’s raining AGAIN. North Carolina weather can’t seem to make up its mind between the allusive “wintery-mix,” and sunshine and blue skies. And with the lack of proper drainage on campus, rain boots are pretty much a safe bet for the next month. Girls all over campus are beating the rainy day blues by spicing up their outfits with new trends in rain gear.

It’s not a total bust — a quick downpour provides lots of fashion opportunities. This rainy season everyone seems to be rocking their Hunter Rain boots which can be found at Monkee’s. Looking for a cheap version? Target sells a great cheap alternative in every design from neon pink to skulls. Rain boots come in a wide variety of colors and patterns, and unlike all other shoes, they don’t necessarily need to match your outfit. Depending on your style, boots also can be worn with skirts, leggings, or skinny jeans. A fashion-forward new addition to raingear this season has been rain boot liners. The equivalent of taking your Christmas stocking and wearing it inside a rain boot, these large fleece socks are incredibly comfortable and help keep the moisture out of your boots. Rainy days can also be a nightmare for your hair. Those duck-billed hoods on your rain coat really don’t help. Umbrellas are a great way to stay dry while saving your look, and like boots, your choice in umbrella pattern and color can say a lot about you and your style. At Wake, you’ll see plenty of variety: black for a more sophisticated look, or a bright color for more fun. Whatever your style, don’t let these rainy days get you down. Use them as an excuse to bring some sass to a boring outfit and have fun splashing around in some puddles!

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.