Pony Up with Dana Dettmer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Dana Dettmer (’17) has ridden horses since before she can even remember, so it’s no surprise that she continues to ride at Wake. A current sophomore, she serves as co-captain of the Wake Forest Equestrian hunt-seat team. Wake Forest Equestrian has different competition teams for dressage and hunt (which involves jumps).

Last week, Dettmer and the hunt-seat team traveled to a competition at Virginia Tech and Averret University. At the competition, riders had to ride horses that they’ve never been on before. “Each rider just draws the name of the horse they will ride,” Dettmer shares.

Seems that our Wake team has both luck and skill, as five riders qualified for Regionals. #GoDeacs!

Dettmer loves being on Wake Forest Equestrian, and believes it has made her a much more effective rider. The only thing she misses? Having her very own horse to take care of!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.