No Bones About It: Learning Anatomy with Dani Monroe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Dani Monroe ’15 loves learning about people, so much so that it doesn’t matter to her if said people are no longer breathing…

In fact, she spends most of her week around cadavers as a lab teaching assistant for HES 352: Human Gross Anatomy. Completion of the class and lab are required for all Health and Exercise Science majors here at Wake. 

An HES major herself, Dani took Human Gross Anatomy last spring. She wanted to be a TA because she’s interested in exploring the human musculoskeletal, neuromuscular and vascular systems, and she anticipated that teaching would be a very unique experience. Her duties? Well, it depends on what’s going on in the lab. Most of the time, she’s either dissecting the bodies (yep, you read that correctly!), acting as an aid for current students or helping to answer any questions that may arise. 

Dani says that the most surprising part of her job is just how long it takes some students to dissect the bodies. To speed up the process, Dani offers this friendly bit of advice, “Study! It pays off. When in doubt, study a lot.” Thanks for spreading the knowledge, Dani!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.