Must-Visit Vineyards in NC!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Collegiettes, if you’re looking for a fun Saturday afternoon activity (and you’re 21 or older, of course!), try making a trip to a vineyard. There are more vineyards in North Carolina than you would think. These wineries are generally divided into three areas – Swan Creek, Yadkin Valley and Haw River Valley. Many are just a short drive from Wake. 

Swan Creek:

Swan Creek is actually a section of the Yadkin Valley. There are a number of vineyards grouped closely together here.

Raffaldini Vineyards & Winery looks like it belongs in Tuscany or Napa Valley, but it is close to Elkin. You can choose between the villa and the fattoria (farmhouse) for your wine tasting, depending on how large your group is. The Private Label Tour will give you a peek into how Raffaldini grows, ages, and bottles their wines. 

(photo from raffaldini.com)

River Run Cellars uniquely combines both winery and distillery in one location. They mainly produce brandy in the distillery. At River Run, you can taste wines from both Windsor Run and Ferguson vineyards.

You can taste the different ways of aging wines at Shadow Springs Vineyard. Here, they use both stainless steel and oak barrels. This winery holds special tasting courses, as well as the typical tour and taste. In November, they are hosting a murder mystery dinner!

(picture from shadowspringsvineyard.com)

Yadkin Valley:

In nearby Lexington, Weathervane Vineyard presents a seven-wine tasting course for a very reasonable price.

Junius Lindsay, also in Lexington, offers a similarly priced tasting course and has a fairly busy schedule of live music. They proudly grow a variety of grapes from the Rhône Valley in France. They also have an open-air tasting room, which looks beautiful.

Located on 33,000 square feet in Dobson, Shelton Vineyards provides a beautiful venue for tastings and other events.

(picture from sheltonvineyards.com)

Raylin Vineyards & Winery is in Mocksville, NC. In 2009 this vineyard focused on being eco-friendly with the installation of solar panels. Raylin provides a good selection of both reds and whites.

If you find yourself near Greensboro, make a stop at Stonefield Cellars. This vineyard holds winemaking classes, where you learn about the whole process of converting grapes into wine. Different concert series occur throughout the year, and they host “Tunes on Tuesday” each week.

Haw River Valley:

On the Haw River Wine Trail is Grove Winery & Vineyards. Located in Gibsonville and overlooking Cabernet Lake, Grove is home to horse trails and once a month, the NC Food Rodeo.  They have an extensive wine list, and just released a new type of wine on October 25th.

Benjamin Vineyards & Winery, in Graham, showcases local culture in conjunction with wine. The vineyard features an artist whose artwork is then showcased at the winery.

In Mebane, Iron Gate Vineyards holds a tasting that includes twelve wines. This winery operates on a family farm, which gives it a charming, homey touch!

(photo from stonefieldcellars.com)

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.