Modern Monograms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The classic monogram looks like initials in a necklace, bracelet, ring or earring form, but as the trendiness of personalized jewelry has grown, so have the options for monograms. Now, monograms have expanded from simply initials to your signature in your handwriting, your name in Morse code, the coordinates for your hometown or where you live, your state with a symbol where your city is, zodiac signs and even birth stones. Monograms are a great way to add a more personalized touch to jewelry layering or your outfit in general, and now, your choices are no longer limited! 

Name Related…

So if you want your personalized jewelry to be name related, you have a couple of options, the most obvious of which is your initials. First choice — all three initials or just first and last? Do you want it in block script or cursive? Metal or colored acrylic? These are questions you will have to decide for most monograms and are definitely something to consider. If initials aren’t your thing, what about your signature? Some places will take a signature that you wrote and make it into a necklace. This is much more personal, I think, but also very unique and uncommon. No one will ever have the same necklace as you and it’s a great conversation starter! Now if you don’t want your name broadcasted from your necklace, you have another option: Morse code. Get a monogram that has your name in Morse code instead of letters. This is such a cool idea and personal for you, but not as outwardly personal.

Location…

If you have a very strong affiliation with the state you currently live in or your home state, why not try a location monogram (as I like to call them)? With this, you have two main options…a state pendant or ‘coordinates.’ The coordinates are pretty simple and are normally just a metal bar with the coordinates you provide. State pendants can get a little more complicated. For states you again have options between acrylic and metal, but you also can put a heart or a star where your home town is or where the capital is. So many options to choose from! I think this is a great option if you aren’t interested in a classic or name related monogram because they are still extremely personal, but also a little more unique.

Birth Month…

The third and final option for personalized jewelry is birth month related items like zodiac signs and birthstones. Having jewelry with your birthstone is not uncommon, but it is now more closely related to a monogram than just a stone or pearl. The zodiac idea is very cute and interesting. I would recommend it for people who feel a strong affinity to their zodiac sign or astrology in general. The zodiac jewelry I have seen has not been the ‘animal representation’ but rather the literal star map in a pendant form. This is another one of those unique ideas that is just starting to become popular!

Personalized jewelry is a great way to mix up your wardrobe and add that extra special touch to your jewelry collection. Now that you have so many options, you don’t have to be a typical prep to rock this awesome trend! A great place to buy this kind of stuff is BaubleBar.com — they have great options and is pretty affordable and efficient. If you have any other ideas for personalized jewelry or have some awesome outfits with personalized jewelry, I would love to hear about it so please email me! Until next time… 

Taylor Curry

Wake Forest

Hello all! My name is Taylor and I am a junior here at Wake. I am so excited about writing for Her Campus again this semester and check out my Fashion in the Forest blog posts every other week. Also check out the Fashion in the Forest Pinterest page or email me at hcfashionintheforest@gmail.com!
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.