Melodic Mumblings: Warm Weather Grooves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As we drift into sublime, warm weather complete with blissfully penetrating sun rays and ephemeral breezes, we can’t help but feel our moods and attitudes lifting. Every time warm spring rolls around, I can’t help but blast music appropriate for such feelings. You know the feeling – cruising smoothly in your car with the windows down, sunglass-clad, hair whipping in the wind. This fantasy isn’t complete without your favorite summer soundtrack. Warm, sunny days remind me of Sublime, old school 311, Daft Punk, MGMT, and some Slightly Stoopid or The Strokes.

Manipulate your summer soundtrack as you please. The point is that you should make efforts to create musical and situational pleasure pertaining to this very seasonal transition.

After a cold, blustery winter at Wake Forest, embrace the ability to enjoy the warm breeze traveling slyly through your fingertips and hair, accompanied by good vibrations. Don’t feel embarrassed to sing at the top of your lungs and writhe uncontrollably at a stoplight; those in the car next to you aren’t enjoying themselves in the immense manner that you are.

[pagebreak] 

I simply wanted to remind you of how simple life’s pleasures can be, and not to take them for granted, as they are the cherries on top of a heaping privilege sundae that is our very existence. With all this new music coming out, you owe it to yourself to take the time to truly enjoy and experience it all.

The new Strokes album, Comedown Machine, is certainly not the crème de la crème of their discography, but it was certainly long awaited for release by the principals of Greenwich Village garage rock. It sounds more like their older style than does its predecessor, Angles, which is favorable. Give it a listen for some frenetic, funky jams this summer.

Speaking of new releases, check out MGMT’s new single, “Alien Days,” on Soundcloud. The link can be found on Pitchfork.com. Give it a gander – They’re back, proving to remain eerie and mystical, just the way we like ‘em.

Most importantly, however- Daft Punk’s album is set to drop in May, and it’s guaranteed to be explosive, funky electro mastery from the kings themselves. Don’t forget to pick that up or download it for inevitable feel-good vibes. Until then, let yourself loose and go crazy to some loud beats. Let go of your head, hair, and tangible body. Dance, and forget your surroundings. Good vibes are rolling in with the beautiful weather.

A Communications major and Journalism minor from New Jersey, Ellie has been writing for HerCampus for almost 3 years now. Known for her sassy personality and sunny outlook on life, Ellie prides herself on her confidence and composure- especially when it comes to how she writes! Ellie is the oldest of four girls, and in her free time loves a good book, the beach, and coffee of any variety. An active writer and blogger, Ellie is so pleased to have taken over the role of Editorial Campus Correspondent for HC-WakeForest, and looks forward to another year of lots of HCLove.