Jon Baquero (‘18)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Year: Freshman

Major: Undecided but possibly Communications

Hometown: Barcelona, Spain

Favorite Place to Relax: By the sea

Soccer Position: Midfielder

Relationship Status: Single

As a midfielder on the Wake Forest soccer team, this Cutie has taken the world by storm, having lived in Spain, Mexico, Poland, and now the USA!  Meet this week’s Campus Cutie and fútbol rock star, Jon Baquero!

HC (Her Campus): Tell me about your soccer career!

JB (Jon Baquero):  I’ve been playing since I was born.  It’s my passion; it’s what I like most.  I lived in Poland for two years and played there.  I have played on eight teams, but my favorite team I played on was my hometown team.  It’s called “Blanca Subur.”

HC: How did you become interested in soccer?

JB: My dad used to be a soccer player.  Since I was small, I’ve always wanted to be like him.  He’s a coach now.  He never directly coached me; in fact, he never wanted me to play.  He didn’t want people to think that I just played because of him.

HC: Why did you choose Wake Forest to play soccer?

JB: I had people in America tell me that there was a really good soccer program here.  In Spain, you either have to choose playing soccer or studying, but in America you have the opportunity to do both.  The weather is nice too, and I like the small campus.  

HC: What was your most memorable soccer experience?

JB: Last year, my hometown team won the League [Championship], so that was really big.  We were tied, but we scored in the last minute, so that was big.

HC: Do you have any favorite songs that pump you up before a game?

JB: I listen to a lot of Latin music.  I like to dance, so I dance a bit before games.  Before every game, we listen to the song “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.”

HC: What has it been like growing up in Spain?

JB: I’ve lived in three different countries and this is my fourth.  I have been to 12 different schools, so I’m used to change.  I’ve mostly lived in Spain, which is a really nice place to live – I like the weather, the people, and the culture.  Spanish people are really relaxed – we like to party and have a good life.  When I lived in Poland, it was really nice because I like to learn about different cultures.  In Poland, people are a bit more close-minded, but it’s such a nice place to live – the people are so nice and welcoming.  

HC: What is one of the biggest differences between living in Spain and America?

JB: It might just be the South, but people are so friendly here.  Everyone says “hi.”  [The South] is also more traditional – people hold the door for others and say “thank you” for everything.  In Spain, you would never do that – people do whatever they have to do for themselves.  People here try to help you more, so that’s really nice.

HC: Do you have any soccer plans for after college?

JB: I would like to go pro after graduating.  I would like to play in America or Europe.

HC: What hobbies do you like doing?

JB: I like hanging out with my friends, dancing, and listening to music.  I saw the [Campus Cutie] interview with Noah Rubin – he’s my roommate.  Every night, we just hang out and dance and stuff.  It’s really fun.  After a whole day of studying, we just like dancing for the sake of it.

HC: If you could try any new activity, what would that be?

JB: I think if I was born in America, I would have played football.  I think football is so cool, and I am learning the rules of it.

HC: If you were stranded on an island and could only bring three items, what would they be?

JB: I would take my soccer ball, my iPod, and a book.  I’m not a huge book fan, but I should probably read more.

HC: What is your favorite part of the week and why?

JB: Every time I have a game.  The whole day is good because I’m just waiting for it.  [When] we have a game on Sunday, I have to go through a whole week until then, so it stresses me out.

HC: What do you think is the best part about autumn?

JB: It’s really nice here – how all the leaves are falling.  The pictures are nice – everyone on Snapchat is feeling so artistic.

HC: What do you look for in a girl?

JB: I always look for someone who makes me laugh, who I can be myself with, and who can be – first of all – my friend.

HC: What would your perfect date be?

JB: I would just like to hang out [and] talk – laugh for a bit.  Maybe go out for dinner and then watch a film.

HC: What kind of movie would you guys watch together?

JB: A comedy movie – I’m a comedy guy!

HC: Lastly, what can we look forward to for the remainder of the soccer season?

JB: We lost on Sunday. We are still waiting to see if we get into the NCAA tournament, but hopefully we will.  That would be fun.

*Photos by Haleigh Monyek.

Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.