An Invisible Boyfriend? Sounds Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Collegiettes, my single friends and I have had a running joke since the beginning of the school year. Whenever we take ourselves out to dinner or buy something nice online we say, “Insvisibae treats us well!” This usually results in a slew of laughter.

Who is “invisibae?” you may ask. Well, he is invisible… and he is also bae. No, we are not crazy. Rather, we are embracing our singlehood and defining how we would like for a man to one day treat us. Basically, we are fully embracing the Tom Haverford “Treat yo self!” model (you’re welcome for the Parks and Rec reference).

Who said you can’t have some of the perks of being in a relationship while single? Our invisibae joke led me to search ways in which other people who are single have decided to fill this vacant space in time.

*Photo from ohgizmo.com.

For some, the answer seems to be invisibleboyfriend.com. I ran across a link to the website about a month ago while perusing Facebook and it’s just what it sounds like – you too can have an invisible boyfriend for the price of $24.99 per month, according to Business Insider. ​The website/app, which relacunched in January 2015, allows subscribers to create their own boyfriends, literally. The slogan on the company’s website boasts, “Finally. A boyfriend your family can believe in.” Where do I sign up?!

Users of the website are able to give their boyfriend a name, pick an age, choose a photo, and create a story of how they met. It’s fool proof. In paying the fee and activating your invisible boyfriend, Business Insider reporter Caroline Moss confirms that you get a package which includes “100 texts, 10 voicemails, and 1 handwritten note.”

*Photo from usatoday.com.

For those who don’t need proof of a significant other and simply want a little time to spoon Cuddle Up To Me might be the answer. Cuddle Up To Me offers “cuddle sessions” for $1 per hour. The service is completely legit with a hygiene policy, payment plan, and official waiver to be signed by participants.​ According to People magazine, the shop originally opened in Portland, Oregon, and had over 10,000 customers in the first week. The founder, Samantha Hess, explained in an interview with the magazine that “Talking is optional during the sessions, which are taped to ensure safety (A meet-and-greet is also required before the first session).””Pajamas are encouraged, and ‘natural reactions’ are dealt with via a change of position so as not to become ‘the focus of the session.’”

Collegiettes, all of this is to say that although you are alone, you have options!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.