This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In today’s society, where the amount of likes one gets on social media is deemed as a direct correlation to self worth, it’s easy to get caught up in all the beauty fads. I would personally classify myself as a lover of all things beauty related. Yet, I think it’s also important to discuss inner beauty. There are a ton of tricks and tips that anyone can do in order to nail that winged eyeliner look, but what are some internal things that can be done in order to feel beautiful?

I reached out to Jennifer Freedman, a Clinical Psychologist with two Masters degrees from Columbia University, to discuss those days when we feel anything but beautiful and, well, just plain blah. There are times when we’ve eaten too much chocolate, done too little work, and just want to crawl under the covers and binge watch Grey’s Anatomy. It’s during these times, the times we are most vulnerable, that we are most critical on ourselves. 

In order to change negative thoughts running rampant one Mrs. Freedman recommends “exercise because it increases endorphins and helps release stress. One could also read a book, go to the movies, take a hot bath, go for a walk, or speak with a friend because all of these things can help change your perspective.” She went on to say that “sometimes, when you change your external world, and change what you’re doing, it helps change how you feel internally.”

So focus on the internal, collegiettes! When you do that, beauty will radiate from you from the inside out. 

Lauren Freedman

Wake Forest '19

Lauren Freedman is a senior at Wake Forest University double majoring in English and Communication. She is a Features Editor for Her Campus Wake Forest and covers fashion, beauty, and wellness as a writer.
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest