How to Have the Best New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As we embark on this new year, I’m sure most of us have set a few – if not many – resolutions. Maybe it’s to lose weight, to learn a new skill, or to meditate more.  Whatever it is, you may find it hard to stick to. Goal persistence is not easy, and many of us have already lost sight of our resolutions only a few weeks into January. Here is a practical guide to making life changing new year’s resolutions that last!

1. Pick Only a Few, Really Exciting Goals

My first tip is to not overload yourself. Pick two or three of your most exciting goals. That way you can focus on just those important areas and allot the time needed to achieve them. Also, it is important that your goals are meaningful and excite you. Maybe there is something you’ve always dreamed about doing or a skill you’ve always wanted to master. Whatever it is, make sure it motivates you! The more powerful and exciting your goal, the more likely you are to achieve it.

2. Find Practical Applications

Now that you’ve decided on your goals, it’s time to actually start achieving them. Sit down with a sheet of paper and write down all of the different ways you could work towards this goal in your everyday life. For example, if it’s a daily habit you want to instill, try ticking off days of the week whenever you accomplish it. It will motivate you to actually complete the task and help you monitor your progress. If you want to workout more, plan your workouts ahead of time and set out your clothes the night before. What you do in your everyday life is what will make or break a goal. Brainstorm concrete, practical solutions and start implementing them!

3. Hyper-focus on them

The hardest part about goal setting is sticking with it, even when it gets tough. We’ve all set goals with every intention of following through with them, only to get about a month in and quit. To combat this, do everything you can to focus and absorb your goals. Put pictures of your goals up in your room. Read books about your goals. Repeat affirmations. Have conversations about it. Make this goal a part of you and you’ll feel connected to it. The more connected to it you are, the harder you’ll work to achieve it.

So there it is: how to set New Year’s resolutions that actually stick. Don’t feel bad if you slip up sometimes or get off track. Just jump right back in as soon as you can! No one is perfect and you can still very much achieve a goal even if you make a few mistakes. Here’s to a happy, healthy and goal-driven year.

Girly girl. Pinterest addict. Actress.
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest