Her Impact: DIY! How to Recycle Magazines into Cute Picture Frames

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Instead of Recycling, upcycle! “Upcycling?” you may ask, “Is that even a real word?” First of all, yes, it is. Second, upcycling is the latest and greatest trend in the eco-world—you take something you’d probably otherwise throw out, and turn it into something awesome and new!

So when its time to retire your old magazines from their days cluttering your room, here’s how to upcycle them into a super cute picture frame.

Step 1: Gather your supplies.  Along with magazines, you’ll need a paintbrush and Mod Podge, scissors, and a base for the frame. I used a piece of cardboard but the side of a shoebox would work just as well. (I also have a bowl to pour my Mod Podge in.)

Step 2: Cut small squares from the magazine pages. I made mine pretty uniform, but feel free to use in pattern or shapes you want. Glue these pieces to cover your frame.

Step 3: Cut a rectangle out of the middle of the cardboard. You can also do this step before you glue the magazine pieces on if that makes it easier. Make sure you make the hole the size of an actual picture.

Step 4: Fold the edges back and glue them to the other side.

Step 5: Now to make flowers, cut strips from magazine pages. I cut about three or four strips per page. Paint both sides of a strip with Mod Podge.

Step 6: Fold the strip in half lengthwise.

Step 7: Repeat this step until you can’t fold it any more.

Step 8: Pinch one end of the strip and roll it down.

Step 9: Secure it at the end with a dot of glue. Add onto the spiral with another strip if you’d like it to be bigger.

Step 10: Glue the flowers to the frame! I only covered a corner, but get creative and design it however you’d like!

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.