This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In honor of the #wfuhc14 game this past weekend, Her Campus sat down with Reese Poncia (’17) to hear more about one of the Demon Deacon’s biggest supporters! Reese has been tumbling since she was just a toddler, and now, you can find her cheering on our beloved Deacs. A current sophomore from Philadelphia, Reese is a passionate and enthusiastic member of the cheer team here at Wake. Reese was a competitive gymnast for most of her life before deciding to focus more on cheering in high school. She joined Wake’s cheer team as a first-year student last year, and hasn’t looked back since. 

In addition to cheering, Reese is also a tour guide, a member of Athletes in Action, and involved with Greek life.

“The most challenging aspect of being on the team is definitely time management. Balancing practices with school work and a social life can be tricky at times, especially during football and basketball season,” Reese explains.

The team meets three times a week, in addition to two workouts and individual tumbling sessions. Before a big game, the practices are even more fast-paced and demanding. No wonder she’s so busy!

Reese’s enthusiasm and love for her teammates is evident by the way she lights up when asked about them. “Being on the team has allowed me to have a second family on campus, all while taking part in a sport I love and cheering on the Deacs,” Reese said.

Reese is also grateful for cheer because it has enabled her to get to know so many incredible student athletes, like teammate, Corey Washbburn (’16). Washburn says, “Reese brings so much positive energy to the team. It is so fun to cheer with her and know that even when practices, workouts, or games get hard, we know we can count on Reese to brighten the mood and make us laugh.”

Whether leading tours, supporting her sorority sisters, or cheering on the Deacs, Reese is a true embodiment of the spirit of Wake Forest. This football season, Reese hopes to see everyone at the games supporting Coach Clawson and the team.

Be sure to keep your eyes out for Reese!

*Article by Caroline Schoen

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.