Fear of ISIS Heightens: A Recap of the Paris Attacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Until recently, the terrorist organization referred to as ISIS – the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria – was considered to be safely contained. However, tragic events in Paris shed light on the growing unrest in the Middle East as the terrorist organization continues to gain power and influence. On November 13, at least 130 innocent individuals fell victim to a series of terrorist attacks around the French capital. They began in the Stade de France, where France was playing Germany in soccer. In the initial attack, a suicide bomber killed four innocent citizens. Subsequently, similar attacks occurred throughout Paris during the night at various public locations, namely bars, theaters and restaurants. By the end of the night, more than 100 innocent Parisians fell victim to the terrorist attacks, thus heightening worldwide fear and repudiation of the Islamic State.

Reactions vary among the world powers, though a growing consensus implies that a change must occur in dealing with ISIS. Russian President, Vladimir Putin, announced his nation’s readiness to overcome the extremist organization with the statement, “We will search for them everywhere, wherever they are hiding. We will find them in any spot on the planet, and we will punish them.”

While the Russian response is to immediately turn to violence as a solution, the United States offers a slightly different approach. In a recent speech, President Barack Obama affirmed his stance that sending ground troops into the Islamic region would be a grave mistake. “If you do not have local populations that are committed to inclusive governance and who are pushing back against ideological extremes, they resurface, unless we’re prepared to have a permanent occupation of these countries,” Obama said.

Largely, the recent attacks on the French capital by Islam extremists demonstrate the growing influence of ISIS as a terrorist organization. Similar events have occurred globally in Mali, Lebanon, and other surrounding nations.

Although the media has put Paris in the spotlight, the terrorist attacks in other countries also deserve equal attention. This version of warfare is unlike any experienced before; it will take time and international efforts to curb the terror and danger associated with ISIS extremists.

My name is Heather Hartel and I'm a freshman at Wake Forest! My passions include politics, Harry Potter and my dogs. Hopefully you enjoy my simplified versions of current events!