Fashion in the Forest: Southern Wardrobe Basics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

When walking around campus, it’s definitely safe to say that the South has its own style. Bold prints, cheerful colors, and trade brands can be found everywhere at Wake Forest, especially as summer starts to close in. Curious for some outfit ideas? Let’s take a look at some of the staple pieces of a Southern wardrobe!

Brand Names

The South loves its brands, and is proud to show ‘em off. Look around and you’re bound to see Lilly Pulitzer dresses, Longchamp bags, and Vineyard Vines tees. These designers are known for their colorful, bold, and simply southern style, and they are great to have in your summer wardrobe.

*Image from polyvore.com

Monograms

From necklaces to pockets, bracelets, bags, and baseball caps – everything is monogramed. This little detail is popular and also incredibly cute. Add a personal flair to your wardrobe by adding your initials to spice up any piece.

Carry-Everywhere Bag

Having a big bag is not only a fashion statement, but it’s also extremely practical for carrying books and other necessities around campus. This is a classic staple of the Southern look, whether it’s a casual beach tote, or a pristine Calvin Klein piece.

*Image from sequinsandthings.com

White Dress & Cowgirl Boots

Summer and football games can bring out the true Southern belle in every girl. This means it’s time for that darling white lace or seersucker dress and a comfy pair of cowgirl boots. Don’t be afraid to show off those Southern roots! This look is cute, comfy, classic – and oh so Southern. 

Megan Schmit

Wake Forest

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.