Fashion in the Forest: Not your average coat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Black coats will always be a staple item in any wardrobe. However, currently, coat trends are moving away from black and starting to look at winter whites, pastels, and statement coats. If you are looking for a more exciting winter coat this season, here are some ways to incorporate it into your wardrobe.

First off, if you are nervous about branching out or black is just your comfort zone, don’t start with something like a neon pink coat. You will never feel comfortable enough to wear it and you’ll probably regret the purchase. Start instead with a trench coat or a camel coat. These are both brown coats, so still a neutral, but different from your black coat. These are also great coats to compliment an all black or dark colored outfit.

If you want to be a little more adventurous, but still have a pretty neutral coat, go with white or pastel. Winter whites are so sophisticated and easy to wear. Just wear your white coat like you would a black or brown coat. Pastels are also very in this season, especially pale pink and pale blue. Pink is a great way to make your wardrobe a little more feminine without going over the top. Because they are coats, you don’t necessarily have to match them to your outfit. However, if you have a pink coat, it is great to balance out with a more masculine outfit.

If you are not a pastel or white fan, but still feeling daring, pick a coat in a bold solid color! This will add that extra pop you are looking for in the cold winter months. With a colorful coat, you really can’t go wrong. Whether you choose a jewel tone or a bright primary, either one will looking amazing and really pulls an outfit together. When deciding what color, I would look at your wardrobe. If you wear a lot of orange, for example, you might not want to buy a bright red or yellow coat because it could clash with a lot of your outfits. You don’t have to exactly match your coat with your outfit, but you also don’t want it to look too hectic.  

Finally, if you are looking for an outrageously awesome coat this season, I would recommend cheetah print. You really can’t go wrong with cheetah print. It is made up of neutral colors so it will go with almost anything. This will also spice up your wardrobe in a very unique way. I mean, how many people do you know with cheetah print coats? If you are brave enough to go out and rock your cheetah print, I salute you! I hope y’all find amazing coats to keep you warm in the Forest this year and remember that a coat is an investment piece – you pay for the quality. 

Taylor Curry

Wake Forest

Hello all! My name is Taylor and I am a junior here at Wake. I am so excited about writing for Her Campus again this semester and check out my Fashion in the Forest blog posts every other week. Also check out the Fashion in the Forest Pinterest page or email me at hcfashionintheforest@gmail.com!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.