Fashion in the Forest: Bring Your Wardrobe from Wake to Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As exams quickly approach, summer internship deadlines loom. For many of us, our daily wardrobes consist of comfortable shorts and tank tops, with the occasional sundress or casual skirt. However, most internships and jobs require a more formal dress code. To fix this wardrobe dilemma, follow these tips to get the most out of your summer wardrobe.

1. Add a Cardigan

Even though it will be hot out, most offices can get pretty chilly. Strapless or tank top sundresses are probably too revealing for an office setting, but a simple cardigan over it covers the right amount of skin and keeps you warm. Plus, you always have the option to take it off if you’re walking around outside.

2. Layer

Whether you are wearing a dress with a sweater or a tank top with a button down, layers are always your friends. Your favorite tank top may not be appropriate for work, but with a chambray or button down shirt with a skirt or pair of pants, it can be the perfect transition to your wardrobe. One of my favorite looks is a white pant with a bright or patterned tank top with an unbuttoned chambray shirt. Add a chunky necklace, ballet flats, and a topknot, and you look stylish and ready to go!

3. Shorts

Depending on the environment, a pair of longer flowy shorts can be perfect for work. One of the hottest trends right now is high waisted flowy shorts, so make them work with all of your summer activities! Pair them with a dressy blouse and blazer or a button down shirt and ballet flats, and your fashion forward outfit will cover the right amount of skin and give another use to your favorite shorts.

4. Maxi Dresses/Skirts

The maxi trend is not only cute and comfortable, but can be a staple piece in a working girl’s wardrobe. Your maxi dress is perfect for an office, because you don’t have to worry about keeping your legs crossed in a short skirt and you are sure to have enough skin covered. Add a fitted jacket for the office and a fun pair of sandals, and your daytime beach look is instantly office-worthy.

The final thing to consider when making the most of your summer wardrobe is exactly what your job is. If you are working for a fashion company, there is probably more lenience in showing skin. However, if you have a more corporate job, investing in a pencil skirt might be a better option. Whatever your job is, key pieces of your wardrobe are universal: light tank tops, blouses, skirts, dresses, cardigans, and ballet flats can be worn almost anywhere. Not only are they perfect for class, but by combining certain elements you can get the most out of your wardrobe and create the perfect corporate attire.

Hey collegiettes! I'm Arianna and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I love all things preppy, but also like to incorporate trends into my wardrobe. I plan to major in communications and possibly minor in French. I can't wait to begin my Her Campus career and hope you enjoy my blog posts!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.