Fashion in the Forest: 6 Ways to Wear Button-Down Shirts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

There are certain wardrobe staples that every collegiette should have in her (tiny) dorm room closet.  One great go-to is a simple button-down shirt.  Whether it’s a crisp white oxford, a slouchy chambray shirt, or a soft flannel, button-downs are easy to throw on before class and still make for a great outfit.  Here are 6 ways to style your button-down.

1.  Jeans

Wear virtually any color or style button-down with jeans.  If you’re wearing a simple color, accessorize with a bold statement necklace or a fun scarf.  Grab a pair of riding boots or ballet flats, and you have a perfect and comfortable outfit to go to class or eat at the Pit.

2. Skirts

If you want to look more dressed up, pair your button-down with a cute skirt. As it starts to get colder outside, a button-down, wool skirt, tights, and boots is another simple outfit that always looks great.  If you’re wearing a white button-down, wear a bright colored pair of tights to add a little flair to your outfit!

3. Leggings

Although wearing leggings as pants is sometimes considered a fashion faux pas, if you’re wearing a long enough shirt they’re a fun and comfortable change from regular pants!  Leggings with a longer chambray button-down or oversized flannel make the perfect cozy outfit for spending hours in the library.

4. Over a Dress

Now that it’s getting colder outside, a cute button-down is perfect to wear over a dress to keep warm.  There are still some days that we don’t need a jacket, so a chambray shirt or flannel over a dress is the perfect way to stay warm and look cute!

5. Under a Sweater

Layering works for everything: necklaces, scarves, but especially shirts.  Wear a button-down with a crew neck or v-neck sweater to dress up your outfit and stay warm at the same time.  A big, cozy sweater looks great with a crisp collar peeking out of the top!

6. Under a Vest

Here at Wake, vests are a huge trend.  Puffy, fleece, fur, you’ll see it all here.  All of these look great with different style button-downs.  Wear a flannel under a puffy vest, or a chambray shirt under a fleece one, and you’re warm and have a cute outfit at the same time!

Hey collegiettes! I'm Arianna and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I love all things preppy, but also like to incorporate trends into my wardrobe. I plan to major in communications and possibly minor in French. I can't wait to begin my Her Campus career and hope you enjoy my blog posts!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.