The Essence of Pro Humanitate: Kristi Chan and Julia Appleby

Posted -

Though Uhuru Child is not a campus organization, Kristi and Julia would love to join forces with anyone who wants to help raise funds and awareness. They’re working on a barefoot soccer tournament to be held in March and are planning an event in April that will involve students camping out on the quad to simulate homelessness and get people to think about what it’s like to live in poverty. If you’re interested, shoot one of them an email at [email protected] or [email protected].

Regardless of your interests, Julia stresses the importance of being passionate about something and getting involved, whether it is through tutoring, Campus Kitchen, or volunteering somewhere else in the community. As students living in the “Wake Bubble,” we have so many resources at our fingertips: food, education, help, etc. Kristi is quick to note that we can easily acquire full stomachs by the simple swipe of a card, but unfortunately the rest of the world does not live like that. We can’t take for granted the fact that we are not only at a prestigious university, but we also have so many connections and resources to put ourselves out there in the hopes of helping at least one individual.

“One person might not change the world,” said Kristi. “But if one person changes their choice, it could change another person’s story.”      

*Article by Issa Basco