Come Together and Light the Quad!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Can you imagine more than 1000 people gathering on the upper quad, each holding a candle and LIGHTING THE QUAD?

Come take part in the Lighting of the Quad on December 2nd and check it out!

Lighting of the Quad is a campus tradition that happens every December during the holiday season. When it was first started, the tradition was small and religions, but now it has developed into a big community-based event. Some students feel that attending Lighting of the Quad is when they first really feel festive. We spoke with the organizer, Jordan Fashimpaur, who is the Campus Traditions Chair for Student Union. She told us that Lighting of the Quad emphasizes community inclusion and provides students far away from home with a feeling of family.

*Photo from news.wfu.edu.

On that night (December 2nd!), faculty, staff and students will gather on Hearn Plaza and celebrate our community together. During the event, you can enjoy performances from six student a cappella groups. There will be snacks available, too.  In the last ten minutes of the event, President Hatch will turn on all of the lights around the upper quad. Attendees will surround with quad while holding a candle, and light them up one by one.

You can also find an opportunity to do some charity at Lighting of the Quad. The Angel Tree Drive is a chance for students to donate gifts to local children. Donations to the Chaplain’s Fund, which exists to help people in need in the WFU community, are always appreciated as well.

This is Jordan’s second time preparing for this event. When reflecting on what makes her love this event so much, she told us that the moment everyone comes together as one community was by far her favorite part. “It is like sharing light and positive energy,” she said.

*Photo from parents.wfu.edu.

Isn’t it beautiful? Come and see how beautiful and bright Wake can be! The event is Tuesday, December 2nd from 7 to 8 pm.

Hi! This is Yvette, a freshman at wfu. Come from Beijing, China. Love movies and music.
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.