Cash for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

There’s a lot of things that define the college experience: crazy frat parties, final exam all-nighters, the Ramen noodle diet…and, the universal binding trend, moments of being flat-out broke.

College is expensive and challenging, and though it is totally worth it in the end, times when you’re strapped for cash make a little less enjoyable. It’s time to talk about being financially savvy at school, and how to make some cash in college—and keep it!

Consignment shops are a great option to make some fairly effortless cash. Simply take in old clothes from your closet—in good condition of course!—and the shop will give you part of the profit from the sale. Some local options are places like etc Consignment Shoppe and Hand Picked Consignments in Winston-Salem.

Applying for transferrable jobs is a great option if you plan on working when you go back home and want to keep the money rolling in in college. Apply for jobs at chain stores and restaurants, especially those in the mall, and make sure that it is transferrable—meaning that you can not only work at the store you applied, but at any of their locations. This means you get to keep your hometown job even in college, making it easier to keep that cash flow.

Tutoring is a fantastic way to make some money on campus. Not only is it beneficial to you and gets you involved at Wake, but it also helps out struggling peers. Sign up to tutor at the Writing Center or private tutoring as a way to earn money and support the student body. 

Babysitting is still a hot job, even in college. It is free of tax and sometimes pays more than minimum wage, and is limited enough in hours to allow for you to still have time for homework and social activities. Look for posted babysitting advertisements, or send out some of your own to gather clients. It’s a fun and rewarding way to make pocket money.

Psych studies don’t always pay, and they usually don’t offer much, but if you’re searching for some quick, effortless pocket money for the week, it’s a great opportunity. Look for postings seeking participants for psych studies that offer some sort of pay, and take it up to make instant cash.

Now that you’ve gotten the money, the next thing is how to use it wisely. Try to limit your spending by forcing yourself to only use cash, and not rack up the debt on your card. Instead, take out a set amount of money each week—let’s say, $60—for groceries and that fun night out, and when the cash runs out, so do you. This will keep you working within a budget to keep that hard-earned cash. Also, take up the art of couponing—take the surveys at the bottom of receipts to get 5% off, or make use of the gazillion coupons in the booklets WFU gives us each semester. It’s fast, simple, and can save you more money than you’d think!

Collegiettes, we’re already book-smart—now let’s get cash-smart. 

Megan Schmit

Wake Forest

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.