Career Chic: Relax & Recharge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I don’t know about y’all, but I’m ready for some time off from the daily grind. There are times when a busy schedules and lengthy to-do lists don’t seem so bad, but there are times when there doesn’t seem to be enough coffee in the world to get through another week! With exam week starting Monday, it feels appropriate to provide some tips on how to relax and recharge during your break.

·      Have some “me” time.

(image from sophpearl.wordpress.com)

Schedule some time for you. Take half a day or an entire day and do some things that you want to do. Maybe it’s something you’ve been meaning to do for a while but haven’t had time for in your busy schedule. Maybe it’s nothing other than sitting on the couch and binge watching your favorite show on Netflix. Or, perhaps you’d like to watch some Sex and the City episodes for the tenth time. It’s okay!  Give yourself permission to carve out some time for you. You deserve it!

·      Get your beauty rest.

It’s not always easy (at times it’s near impossible) to get enough sleep each night when you’re studying for finals or writing that research paper, so use your time away from academics to get some sleep. Your body needs somewhere between 6-8 hours of sleep each night to repair cells and be able to function at an optimal level the next day.

(image from mybeautybinge.com)

·      Move around!

Take a fitness class. Do some yoga. Go for a walk. Have a shopping date with your BFF. Get moving around. Engaging in physical activity helps keep a healthy heart and mind. Take care of yourself by getting that heart pumping!

(image from efficientexercise.com)

·      Eat well!

Exam week (and the entire semester…let’s be serious!) can be super stressful in more ways than one, and sometimes it’s hard to make sure you’re eating well. While you’re on break, try to incorporate more fruits and veggies into your daily diet. It can be as simple as having a piece of fruit for a snack or as an addition to your meal. Just like with the physical activity, you’ll feel better and probably find yourself full of energy! Kick that caffeine laden diet to the curb while you’re away for break!

(image from choosemyplate.gov)

·      Do something that energizes you!

Being a collegiette can be fun but also exhausting. I’d be willing to bet you’re feeling a bit more tired than usual right now. The weight of exams and papers can take a toll on you. Find something fun to do over break that gives you energy and makes you excited! Maybe you’d like to work on a creative project or reconnect with friends you haven’t seen in a while.

·      Have fun!

I feel like this one is self-explanatory! Have fun! Laugh! Be silly! 

(image from shutterstock.com)

·      Reconnect with family and friends!

Spend time with people who mean a lot to you. Maybe you haven’t spent quality time with some of your friends and family in a while. Although the holiday season can be busy, you may want to try to schedule some time to hang out together. Spending time with people who mean a lot to you is always an instant boost of feel good vibes!

Stay chic,

Jessica

Jessica Long is a National Certified Counselor (NCC) and Assistant Director of Career & Professional Development in the Office of Personal and Career Development (OPCD) at Wake Forest University. She is a Demon Deacon graduate, and has been empowering collegiettes and Campus Cuties across the state of North Carolina for 9 years. She is a firm believer in the power of a good pencil skirt, is an aspiring crafter, and has a serious weakness for chocolate chip cookies. Feel free to contact her with comments or questions at longjw@wfu.edu. Get connected with ways to stay fabulous after college by following WFU OPCD on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Jessica Long

Wake Forest

Jessica Long is a National Certified Counselor (NCC) and Assistant Director of Career & Professional Development in the Office of Personal and Career Development (OPCD) at Wake Forest University. She is a Demon Deacon graduate, and has been empowering Collegiettes and Campus Cuties across the state of North Carolina for 9 years. She is a firm believer in the power of a good pencil skirt, is an aspiring crafter, and has a serious weakness for chocolate chip cookies. Feel free to contact her with comments or questions at longjw@wfu.edu. Get connected with ways to stay fabulous after college by following WFU OPCD on facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.