Career Chic *Honesty Hour*: Seniors, Give it Some Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

This, or some variation of it, has been the beginning of the majority of my appointments within the past few weeks:

ME: I’m so glad you’re here, [student’s name]. What brings you in today?

STUDENT: I still haven’t found a job yet and I know I’m way behind. All of my friends already have jobs and everyone but me knows what they’re doing after graduation. OMG, I’m gonna have to move home and live with my parents because I don’t have a job. I need you to help me find a job!

Let me take a moment to address the above with a brief reality check:

ALL of your friends do not have jobs yet. I know this because all of your friends are coming to me and saying this exact same thing. Therefore, all of your friends don’t already have jobs. And I promise you that the majority of seniors graduating in May don’t know what they’re doing next week. And they certainly don’t all know what they’re doing after graduation. It’s OCTOBER. You graduate in MAY. That’s 7 months from now. You’ve got time to find a job. You’ve got 7 months. That’s more than half a year! You will find an option that is better than going home to live with your parents because you don’t have a job. Just give it some time.

If you’re not applying to jobs right now, what can you be doing?

1) Update your resume.

2) Update your LinkedIn profile (Create one if you haven’t!). Now that your resume is updated, this should be pretty easy! Get a snazzy new professional profile photo and add information about your most recent experiences. Create some amazing bullet points with detailed information that will dazzle networking contacts and potential employers!

3) Use your LinkedIn account. Join awesome networking groups (hint: Wake Forest Alumni and Wake Forest University Career Connectors) so you can start reaching out to people who also have a connection to Mother So Dear. Wake Forest people want to help Wake Forest people. So, join the groups and start letting them know how they can help you!

4) Network in real life (In addition to LinkedIn). Keep in touch with former supervisors. Engage in conversations with your professors. Is there someone you know personally who works in a field of interest? Contact him or her and see if they have time for a phone call/Skype meeting/coffee/lunch to chat. Conduct informational interviews and network, network, network!

5) Gather information. Although your ultimate goal is to find a job, you want to first focus on gathering information from existing and new contacts. They may know you ultimately want a job, but start off with an approach that is inquisitive. Ask them questions about what they do, the path they took to get there, the advice they have for you, and other things you may want to know.

6) Follow up. Keep in touch with your networking contacts. If there is someone you haven’t talked to or heard from in a few months, send a friendly email to check in and see how things are going.

7) Say “thank you.” These two words are hugely important. Thank people for their time. Thank people for introducing you to new people. Thank people for answering your questions. Thank people for favors they do and for the help they provide.

8) Build your arsenal. Start looking at websites that will help you find job postings. Although you aren’t going to apply to jobs right this minute, identify some websites where you’re able to successfully find opportunities that are aligned with your field and career of interest. Can’t think of where to start? Go directly to websites for companies or organizations you like, or check out some websites recommended by the OPCD.

9) Take a look at the OPCD website. It’s full of all kinds of fabulous resources!

10) Visit the OPCD. The OPCD is your go-to for all things career-related! Trained career professionals want you to come in as you figure out your answer to “What are you going to do after graduation?”

Allow yourself to be okay with not having everything figured out right this second. Or today. Or maybe even a month from today. It’s called a job search for a reason. Just give it some time. Keep your eye on the prize and make use of the resources available to you!

Stay chic,

Jessica

Jessica Long is a National Certified Counselor (NCC) and Assistant Director of Career & Professional Development in the Office of Personal and Career Development (OPCD) at Wake Forest University. She is a Demon Deacon graduate, and has been empowering collegiettes and Campus Cuties across the state of North Carolina for nine years. She is a firm believer in the power of a good pencil skirt, an aspiring crafter, and has a serious weakness for chocolate chip cookies. Feel free to contact her with comments or questions at longjw@wfu.edu. Get connected with ways to stay fabulous after college by following WFU OPCD on Facebook and Twitter.

Jessica Long

Wake Forest

Jessica Long is a National Certified Counselor (NCC) and Assistant Director of Career & Professional Development in the Office of Personal and Career Development (OPCD) at Wake Forest University. She is a Demon Deacon graduate, and has been empowering Collegiettes and Campus Cuties across the state of North Carolina for 9 years. She is a firm believer in the power of a good pencil skirt, is an aspiring crafter, and has a serious weakness for chocolate chip cookies. Feel free to contact her with comments or questions at longjw@wfu.edu. Get connected with ways to stay fabulous after college by following WFU OPCD on facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.