Campus Cutie: Colin Johnson (’16)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Colin Johnson 

Year: Senior 

Major: Economics 

Hometown: Southlake, Texas  

Relationship Status: Taken

Congrats and a big THANK YOU to everyone who participated in Wake ‘N Shake for raising $284,418.54 for the Brian Piccolo Cancer Research Fund! Now get to know one of the ‘head honchos’ of the event who made it all possible: Meet the optimistic Colin Johnson!

Her Campus (HC): So, how does it feel to be back? Did you have a good spring break? 

Colin Johnson (CJ): I did! I went on a cruise with basically my entire pledge class of my fraternity. We went to the Caribbean; we drove down to Miami first. I love to drive, so I drove both ways. It was really fun! 

HC: Awesome! Okay, so tell me, what are you involved with on campus? 

CJ: Well the big thing was Wake ‘N Shake. This was technically my fourth year being involved with it. I was one of the overall co-chairs this year – so one of the three head honchos. Head honcho is probably my favorite way to describe myself (laughs). So, I’ve been working on that since last April. It has been a tough experience; a lot of learning going on, but it all came to fruition on Saturday. 

HC: How did you decide to get involved in Wake ‘N Shake? 

CJ: Well, I actually got involved while I was pledging. I was convinced to go participate in the flash mob Wake ‘N Shake had at the basketball game. So, I went and was like, “Wow, this is kind of fun!” And I got a free t-shirt (laughs). Then I went to the Wake ‘N Shake event and had a great time. I was originally only going to stay for 6 hours, but I ended up staying for probably 10 of the 12. That’s when I knew it was an event that I really wanted to get involved in, so I came back the next year and applied for the exec board as a sophomore. I wasn’t on a committee or anything, but they saw something in me, so it just kind of escalated from there. And here I am now: head honcho!

HC: What’s your favorite thing about the event? 

CJ: I’ve really liked overseeing all the different aspects of it. I’ve had one role the last two years, so it is really cool now to see it all coming together. That’s been something that I’ve really enjoyed – being able to help out with everything. 

HC: Can you believe you only have a few months left here at Wake? What are your plans after graduation? 

CJ: I got a job! Halleluiah! (Laughs). I’m moving to DC working at an advisory firm called CDB. I’m very excited! Wake has been awesome, but I’m ready to move on. 

HC: What’s your favorite memory from Wake so far? I know that’s a tough question! 

CJ: Sophomore year Wake ‘N Shake is definitely up there. I got to emcee the event, which was a lot of fun! It was a big turning point for me because I had a lot of responsibilities leading up to the event, and I was really nervous. I got up on stage, and it ended up going really well. It was really meaningful to see it all play out the way it was supposed to. 

HC: Now for some fun questions! What’s your favorite song of the moment? 

CJ: I have a lot of favorite songs (laughs); you know, it depends on your mood, right? I would say a song called “Not with Haste” by Mumford and Sons. 

HC:  Any hobbies? 

CJ: Cooking barbecue for sure! I play intramural sports a decent amount as well. I never played organized basketball in high school, but now I’m the captain of the C league intramural teams! I also really like to fish and travel. I’m looking for new hobbies as my academic obligations wind down. 

HC: What do you look for most in a girl? 

CJ: I would say sincerity is definitely a big thing, and passion about life in general. 

HC: What’s your idea of the perfect date? 

CJ: I really like live music, so maybe going to dinner somewhere and then a concert after. And fireworks are fun too, so maybe fireworks after the show. 

HC: Okay, last question: Any advice for underclassmen on how to make the most of their Wake experience? 

CJ: I would just say to get involved with as much as you can initially and figure out what you want to do, and then really devote yourself to it. There are so many things to do on this campus; for example, I just talked to President Hatch for 15 minutes about Wake ‘N Shake! Just find something that you want to do and just go for it!

Hi Demon Deacons! I'm Caroline and I'm a freshman here at Wake Forest. This year i'll be writing for "Haute and Healthy" and Campus Cutie! 
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus