Aphrodite’s Advice: The College Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

*Photo from dou-leur.tumblr.com

It’s no secret that dating in college is a major taboo. But what happens when you come into school with a boyfriend, or you find someone you majorly click with that first week of orientation? It’s easy to feel like there’s something wrong with you, or that, when you come to school with a boyfriend, you’re not getting the “full college experience” that everyone always talks about. But I’m here to tell you that if you’re happy, trying new things, and taking life one step at a time with your friends by your side, then you’re doing it right – relationship or not.

“High School Sweethearts” by Mimi at flickr.com

College relationships don’t have to be a taboo. The most important thing to remember is that balance is crucial. School, friends, boys, social life, and any other activities should all be in balance with one another. When your life is in balance, and you manage your time so that every important aspect of your life is attended to, then having a boyfriend can be a wonderful, growing experience. Speaking from personal experience, it’s easy to ignore everything else and only focus on your relationship. That’s when the whole “I’m not fully experiencing college” thoughtsbegind to pop up. But really, what are you actually missing out on? The hook up culture of our generation? Staying out late without guilt? Those are really the only things I can think of, but when you put them in perspective, you actually aren’t missing out on anything but the hurt that can come from one night of making bad choices. You can still go out just as much with a boyfriend as you would without one. If you’re in a healthy, trustworthy relationship, then it shouldn’t matter if you want to stay out late that one night a week, or if you and you girlfriends decide to have Girl’s Night. Also, having a boyfriend can actually help to keep you out of some pretty messy trouble.

“Beautiful Girls” by Viola’s Visions at flickr.com

If you’re in a relationship, and you’re worried that it’s taking away from how college “should be,” then ask yourself this question, “Who has the right to define how your life should be lived?” Why are you stressing? Be proud of your decisions. If you’re the happiest you’ve ever been, and he treats you like a princess, then don’t let the college culture tell you it’s wrong. A lot of people spend their entire lives looking for something that you might have found at only 19. Treasure that, because you’re one of the lucky ones.

“Hiking in the Forest” by Angie Tarantino at flickr.com

However, before you jump into a college relationship, think carefully about what you want in life. This is not the time to be selfless. Think about yourself. You’re young, for goodness’ sake! So be young. Be selfish. This is your time to get the most out of life and discover who you are as a person. So find yourself. If you’re in a healthy relationship, you both can grow together. But if you’re not ready for a serious relationship, that’s great too! Learn about yourself. Go on a hike or a long walk and discover what you can when you take time alone. Soul searching can lead to a lot of wonderful things.

“Kiss” by Pablo Fernandez at flickr.com

Live your life how you want to live it. If you want a boyfriend, then have one. If you want to be single and travel the world, eating exotic foods and going on new adventures, then do it. And if you want to do all that with the boy you love by your side, what’s stopping you? Be yourself. Create your own story. Boy involved or not, don’t let someone tell you how college should be. The worst thing in life is to look back and have regrets. Don’t ever look back and wonder, “What if?” Take every opportunity presented to you, and live life to the fullest.

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.