This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

With the summer months quickly approaching, it seems as though every blogger under the sun is trying out a new hair color. Summer is the perfect time to experiment with vibrant new tones. Here are some of my personal tips, gathered from my own mistakes, to help your locks be radiant and beach ready!

1. Foam is Your Friend

My personal favorite brand of dye is the John Frieda Precision Foam Colour. Low cost and easy to use, the no-drip formula will not even take a toll on your dorm’s white sink. The foam ensures that the color comes out without uneven splotches. If you are going for a complete but natural looking color-change, this is definitely the product for you. 

2. Less Shampoo

This is a general rule for healthy hair anyway: try to wash your hair only every couple of days, rather than every day, to prevent your shampoo from stripping it of its natural oils and the color you just applied. If you do need to freshen up your hair, apply a touch of conditioner in the shower, but ditch the shampoo. This will keep your strands healthy and maintain your color. 

3. Keep it Covered

If you know you’re going to be spending a lot of time in the sun, the intense rays can bleach and fade out your color. Throw on a cute floppy hat or your favorite Demon Deacons baseball cap to protect not only your hair but also your scalp, which can get sunburned. However, if it is your intention to lighten your hair’s natural or artificial color, time in the sun can actually help — just don’t overdo it!

*Cover image from herinterest

Abby Mohr

Wake Forest

Permanent resident of 8th floor ZSR, professional dog hugger, avid lover of Ignition remixes, and in a constant state of trying to get my life together.
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus