free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ask the Career Coach: Do Freshmen Really Need Internships?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Q. I feel so much pressure to get a summer internship, even though I’m only a freshman. I’m not sure what to do since I may be taking summer courses and traveling with my family. Will not doing one ruin my future job prospects?

A. Freshman and no internship?  No problem.  At least, not yet.   

It’s hard to search for something, if you don’t know what you’re looking for, right?  No doubt about it.  You are absolutely going to need real world experiences to be competitive in the full-time job hunt.   But if you use this summer and next fall to get a better picture of your career interests, you’ll be more focused and prepared for an internship next year.  

And BTW, sophomore year is a fine time to start the search.

Here are some smart ways to use your time this summer:

1) Shadow people who work in career fields that sound interesting to you.  Approach family friends, suitemates’ parents, classmates’ brothers, and Wake alumni about following them around for a few days.  You’ll get plenty of clues about what their jobs involve and whether or not you want to experience it for yourself.

2) Get a summer job.  Whether you’re a lifeguard at the local pool or a server at Speedy’s Barbecue, having work history on your resume is proof to potential employers that you

a) know what it means to work with others toward a common goal,

b) are reliable at fulfilling your responsibilities and delivering on promises,

c) have basic knowledge of workplace culture, and therefore

d) are a good risk when it comes to hiring you for an internship.

3) Volunteer at a nonprofit.  Find out about the projects which need support, and then run with one (or more).  Hone your social media skills by marketing a good cause.  Learn project management by helping to organize a fundraising event.   Develop your knowledge of Excel, by offering to create a useful database.  Added bonus: You’ll create working relationships with professionals, who may be future mentors or references. 

Relax for now. Take the steps listed above.  See you in November to gear up for next summer’s internship search. 

Carolyn Couch

A Certified Professional Coach and a National Certified Career Counselor, Carolyn Couch is Associate Director for Career Education and Counseling at Wake Forest University. She has been providing comprehensive career coaching for Collegiettes and Campus Cuties for over 15 years. She is a past columnist for the USAToday Online Career Center and a former board member of Dress for Success (Winston Salem NC affiliate), an international organization promoting economic independence of disadvantaged women.   

Send your career questions to her at couchca@wfu.edu.

A Certified Professional Coach and a National Certified Career Counselor, Carolyn Couch is Associate Director for Career Education and Counseling at Wake Forest University. She has been providing comprehensive career coaching for Collegiettes and Campus Cuties for over 15 years. She is a former board member of Dress for Success (Winston Salem NC affiliate), an international organization promoting economic independence of disadvantaged women, and columnist for the USAToday Online Career Center. Send your career questions to couchca@wfu.edu. Stay up to date on OPCD news and events by following WFU OPCD on Facebook and @WFU_OPCD on Twitter.
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.