Aphrodite’s Advice: Why I Chose the Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

If you had asked me at the beginning of the summer if I thought that coming to college with a boyfriend would be a good idea, I would’ve laughed and said no. I mean, who comes to college with a boyfriend? Everything I’ve ever read says that it’s a bad idea. When you come to college you meet so many new people. Why be tied down with a boy at another school? That was my opinion. I never expected for my summer romance to last, but it did. I never expected to come to college with a boyfriend, but I did.

People might look at me and ask, “why?” Why come to college with a boyfriend when you’ll meet so many new guys? For those people I have a few simple reasons.

1. He’s my support system.

Coming to college I was nervous, as most people are. My parents told me I’d be calling home in tears for the first few weeks. That alone scared me. But having my boyfriend to talk to offered me a better way to express my feelings. He would listen to me without judging me like I knew my parents might. I would still call home to tell my parents about my new experiences, but am so glad I had my boyfriend to talk to too. He really understood what I was going through.

2. He’s my best friend.

My boyfriend is truly my best friend. I feel like he is the same person as me and he understands me completely. A relationship like that is something I want to hold on to! Luckily for me, it just so happens that his college isn’t too far from Wake. While most girls in long distance relationships go months without seeing their boyfriend, I only have to go a few weeks. Score.

3. He’s too good to let go.

As cheesy as this may sound, in middle school a camp counselor told me to make a list of all of the qualities I wanted in a guy. A few years into high school I found the list and decided to update it. Over the summer I stumbled upon the list. As I was reading, I realized that my boyfriend matched every quality I looked for in a person! I know I have high standards and I know he meets them. I wasn’t willing to let him go solely because I wasn’t going to be attending the same school as him.

To these reasons some people might say, “But you’re missing out on the college experience!” and to those people I’d have to say that I don’t feel like I am. I’ve joined clubs and made friends. That’s what I wanted out of my college experience. I don’t feel tied down, as many people assume I might be.

Maybe you’re like me. Maybe you came to school with a boyfriend and you feel like most people just don’t understand. Let me just say that I respect you. It’s one of the scariest and riskiest things I’ve ever done. I’m gambling with my heart and feelings right now. I don’t know what my future holds, but I wouldn’t change my decision for anything.

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.