andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Aphrodite’s Advice: Why I’m Glad I Didn’t Give Up on Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Love and relationships can be scary, especially in college. After not dating much in high school, I decided that dating in college wouldn’t happen. Flash forward to my freshman year. I found my first (serious) relationship with a boy from a local college. He was older, so different than the boys back home, and really handsome. But handsome and mature became really invasive and controlling – he was everything I didn’t know I didn’t want. He ended our relationship right before exams, and I was stressed but not really upset. Strike One.

We all go through a rebound relationship in life. I found my rebound the next week, Guy B. Guy B was supposed to be the perfect guy. He was on campus, really involved, and the uniquely attractive guy in class. A potential Campus Cutie for sure. Guy B and I were “talking,” and I was too naive to know that “talking” equaled no commitment, no frills, and no strings. “Talking” took us through the end of exams, the summer, and into the beginning of the school year. Guy B became flakey and cocky as I tried to become closer to him and the “talking” became whispers. And then silence. Guy J came into the picture. Guy J, the athlete, was more confident than Guy B and yet came with the athlete stereotypes.  Guy J was my rebound from my rebound and ended up breaking my heart. Strikes Two and Three.

After my three attempts of trying for a meaningful connection and failing significantly, I was ready to give up on finding a boyfriend or even an exclusive relationship. College-aged boys seemed to only want to hook-up or be with several girls at the same time – things I wasn’t ready to compromise on. I wanted to focus on myself and resolved to do so. No boys, just me. That was my plan until I met Guy R. Guy R is the reason I’m happy I didn’t give up on boys and relationships. He has become my Prince Charming, my moral support, and my own personal cheerleader. He has all the qualities I want in a relationship. I know it’s cliché, but he makes me want to be a better person and has been such a positive influence in my life.

I know my story isn’t unique to me: we all have that relationship, hook-up, friends with benefits, or any other romantic situation that makes us seriously question boys, dating, and relationships. What I’ve learned is sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs until you find your prince. You can’t be afraid nor can you rush the process. So, ladies, don’t be afraid to go through a few frogs! You never know who will become your prince.

Mia Wilson

Wake Forest

Mia Wilson is a senior English and French double major at Wake Forest University. When not in class or studying frantically, she enjoys working out in the gym, catching up on the latest fashion trends and napping. Her hobbies include traveling, her Maltese Nahla and drinking Starbucks. Catch her on Instagram @mwilson__14
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus