element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Aphrodite’s Advice: Single Pringle, Ready to Mingle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Sup collegiettes!

Welcome to the ranks of the Single Pringles: the independent hotties-with-the-bodies who proudly strut around as single on campus. As poor overworked human beings trapped in the woes of the college life, we often seek out potential hubby/wifey material, wondering what it would be like to finally call another the coveted title “BAE”…

Having been recently released into the single world, I’ve struggled to remember what it even means to be single. After weeks of pining over my ex, I finally emerged from my mascara streaked covers and stepped out ready to embrace the single life – only to crawl back into bed to pine some more because it was a completely foreign country to me. That’s where overly pushy single friends who love being single come in handy!

They opened my eyes to the wonderful perks that come with being single and now I am completely comfortable. Seriously. It’s da bomb, because:

1) Being in a relationship can sometimes feel like a job.

The constant calling, texting, worrying, nagging, birthdays, one month, 6 months, 1-year anniversaries, fights and makeups – the list is endless. Physically and mentally, relationships can be draining. When you are single, all you gotta worry about is you and yourself.

2) You’re on less of an emotional roller coaster.

I will admit that my emotions are all over. in general. And when I was in a relationship that all-over-the-place-ness multiplied by infinity. I cried and binged on Netflix and Oreos over EVERYTHING – from complicated fights to past arguments from 5 MONTHS AGO. One moment, you want to never see your boyfriend again and the next you’re making out in the rain like a scene from The Notebook…

3) You learn to be more independent.

Sure, it is great to have the social security of always having a date to formal events, but being single forces you to put yourself out there, and make your own decisions.

So whether you’ve dwelled in forefronts of the bachelor/bachelorette rankings for a while – or just been recently recruited – we can all benefit from the single life. Yes, college can suck. Yes, we all crave cuddle buddies every once in a while. Yes, it would be amazing to have a Ryan-Gosling look-a-like-bae on campus. But let’s be honest, nothing beats the freedom of the single life!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.