6 Little Things that Could be Sabotaging Your Job Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Shout out to all my senior collegiettes on the hunt for a job. While it’s exciting to think that we’re that much closer to graduating, it’s also extremely stressful/terrifying/weird not knowing where we’ll be seven months from now.

In the meantime, we’re interviewing; hoping to land that dream job in that dream location…or maybe just any job in any location. You’ve printed your resume, memorized the company’s mission statement and thoroughly ironed your pencil skirt. You’re ready to go! Right?

Sometimes, when preparing for interviews, we focus on the ‘big stuff’ and forget that seemingly trivial things can actually make a difference in a first impression. I’m talking about things like…

Mismatched Foundation

*photo from quicklol.com.

Yep – it’s happened to me. Guess that’s what I get for putting makeup on in a dim setting. To prevent mismatch, try to go easy on your face makeup the day of your interview. Check yourself in natural light. If you do wear full-coverage foundation, it’s also imperative that you blend well so as not to have an awkward line underneath your chin/jaw.

Bits of Lint

* photo from MTV.com.

Have you seen this GIF of Drake lint rolling his sweatpants at a basketball game? Well, he knows what’s up. Since a lot of our go-to interview outfits are either black or navy, lint is inevitable. You might leave your room lint-free BUT if at any point before your interview you 1. Sit on a plush chair, 2. Put on a coat or scarf or 3. Use tissues, you can expect flecks of cotton and fuzz to appear. Bring a lint roller with you and lint roll yourself ten minutes before.

Chipped Nails

*photo from popsugar.com.

Chipped nail polish looks messy, especially when the chipped polish is a darker color. If you have time, re-paint your nails at home the night before your interview. At the very least – remove the chipped polish if you don’t have time to re-paint.

Not Wearing Stockings with Skirts/Dresses

*photo from blog.blackboxvintage.com.

Yes, nude hosiery reminds us of our grandmas but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Stockings give you a chic, finished look and hide any bruises or bumps that might be on your legs. Stockings also allow your skirt or dress to lie seamlessly on your body, preventing wrinkles or awkward ‘ride-ups.’

Saying “Like” and “Um” Repeatedly

*photo from advocate-online.net.

We all have nervous ticks, and this might be yours. Unfortunately, repeating “like” or “um” distracts from what you’re really trying to say in an interview. The fix? Practice. Try answering basic interview questions with your friends. Tell them to interject or make you re-start your response if you say “like” or “um” at anytime.

Not Having Questions for Your Interviewers

*photo from quickmeme.com.

Asking questions of your interviewers shows you’re intelligent and interested. Start by asking a little bit about his or her background and how he or she first got involved with the company. It’s always smart to ask about a typical day, career trajectory and skills that help make a candidate most successful at said job.

According to experts, it only takes between seven and 17 seconds to make a first impression. So, while I realize some of this sounds a bit superficial, when it comes to acing a job interview, every little thing matters. Best of luck, collegiettes!

For the original version of this article and more of my musings, check out Fat A$$ Femme

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.