5 Best Places to Visit in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

“He who tires of London tires of life” — Samuel Johnson

1. Big Ben and Westminster Abbey

On a beautiful, sunny day, this area of London dazzles. Big Ben chimes; you can see the London Eye in the distance across the Thames; and you can feel like a Queen about to be coronated in Westminster Abbey. Inside Westminster Abbey, you can find the graves of Charles Darwin, Sir Issac Newton, and Chaucer and the tombs of English kings and queens from Edward I in the 1300s to Mary I (Bloody Mary), Elizabeth I, and Mary, Queen of Scots. Not to mention the breathtaking architecture of the abbey as well!

2. Leicester Square at Night

This is my favorite place in London: this is where theater, bars, and shopping are all in one area. It reminds me of a smaller Times Square. Chinese lanterns dot the sky, and people are just milling around and hanging out. Right now, there’s an adorable Christmas market here.

3. See a Show

Check out Shakespeare’s Globe to see Will’s creations come to life or to the National Theater to watch some edgy plays. You can’t miss seeing “Les Miserables” or “Phantom of the Opera.” The theater in London is outstanding, and you have to take advantage of it!

4. Shop at Harrod’s

Give yourself at least two hours to meander through this seven floor department store. It sells everything you could possibly think of. Name brands like Prada and Gucci are the first products to greet you inside the store. There’s a market (you can buy fresh fish, check out the patisserie, or nibble on fancy chocolates), buy furniture, check out all things technology, and try on ball gowns. I was lost for most of the time there— but it was an awesome place to get lost in!

5. Take a Day Trip

There are so many cool places to check out outside of London. Stonehenge was one of my favorite places I have visited while being abroad. Another sweet day trip is to the Harry Potter Warner Bros. Studio. This is the land of Harry Potter! You can tour through the studio and check out the sets used in the films, costumes, wigs, pass through Platform 9 3/4, walk down Diagon Alley, and drink Butterbeer. 

Photos courtesy of:

Haleigh Monyek

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a5/2e/00/a52e000fbb5d49e6e9119…

http://pre06.deviantart.net/7276/th/pre/i/2013/329/b/2/london___leiceste…

Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest