3 Foods that Will Help You Avoid the Flu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As some of you may or may not know, your immune system is extremely fragile and volatile. As the temperature continues to drop and our workloads begin to grow with the start of the new semester, maintaining our health becomes increasingly important. Eating well is necessary to keeping your body strong and primed to fight any virus that may come your way. When the body lacks essential vitamins and nutrients, it loses its ability to effectively combat colds. So what foods should you eat to avoid getting sick or put an end to an already existing virus? Here’s the run down:

Many types of fish are rich in nutrients and minerals that fight colds. For example, shellfish contain selenium, which, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center, is a mineral that aids white blood cells in producing cytokines. Cytokines, as defined by the National Institute of Allergies and Diseases, are proteins that help eliminate flu viruses from the body. Other types of fish, such as salmon and mackerel, are full of omega-3 fatty acids. According to research by the Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, omega-3 fats reduce inflammation and increase airflow to protect the lungs from respiratory infections. Another food that contains selenium is mushrooms. A 2012 article in The Huffington Post listed shitake, maitake and reishi as the best flu-fighting mushrooms.

Next is yogurt. Yogurt is full of probiotics – healthy bacteria that keeps the stomach and intestines clear of disease-causing germs. Research by both Harvard Medical School and the University of California, Berkeley support that probiotics aid the immune system in helping the digestion process, allowing the body to absorb the nutrients it needs to stay healthy. While probiotics can also be taken in supplement form, a study from the University of Vienna in Austria found that consuming yogurt is just as effective.  

Lastly, load up on ginger. Ginger is an extremely multifaceted immune boosting food. Research done by the University of Kentucky and Kaohsiung Medical University supports that, in addition to being able to soothe a scratchy throat, ginger is also chock-full of chemicals called sesquiterpenes that target rhinoviruses (the most common group of cold viruses) and help subdue coughing. Ginger tea can be found at almost any grocery store, making it the quickest and easiest way to fight back against viruses!

So, collegiettes, try adding these foods to your diet to give your immune system that extra “boost” this winter!

*Cover image from Blog Daily Herald

Hi Demon Deacons! I'm Caroline and I'm a freshman here at Wake Forest. This year i'll be writing for "Haute and Healthy" and Campus Cutie! 
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus