Why You Should Start a Blog Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Winter break has arrived, and eventually, the new year will arrive, too! This is a time for reevaluation, self-reflection and resolutions. It’s also the perfect time to start a blog! Check out the many benefits to blogging below.

ALLOWS FOR CREATIVITY & SELF-EXPRESSION

No matter what type of creative person you are – writer, photographer, designer, artist, entrepreneur, visionary – blogging can help you channel your passion. It’s the ideal way to make your ideas come to life. You’re able to transfer what is in your mind onto your own digital platform, and either reflect on it as an individual or share it with others.

IMPROVES SKILLS

Regardless of what art form or skill you decide to build your blog on, you will be perfecting it. Blogging gives you an excuse to practice and perfect your passion by posting continuous content.

RELIEVES STRESS

In the busy world of a college student, having a hobby that allows you to sit back and relax is ideal. Blogging about your passions can be truly relieving. You’re able to forget about other stressors in your life. It takes you to a place where you are focusing on something you love. Sometimes college students aren’t particularly passionate about what classes they’re taking or what clubs they’re in, but by blogging, you are taking time for yourself and your interests.

BUILDS PORTFOLIO

Being published on your own platform can look fantastic to future employers. Not all blogs are professionally-based, but if yours is, it’s something you can add to your portfolio. You can also display your abilities to advertise your blog, design graphics, utilize social media platforms, etc.

MAKES CONNECTIONS

The blogging universe is vast. Chances are, you will be able to connect with other bloggers who share your passion. Not only is this a good way to network, but it’s a good way to give and receive tips on working in your field.

FILLS FREE TIME

When a semester ends, college students often find themselves with large amounts of free time that they didn’t have before. Instead of going to Netflix, go to a blog! It’s productive and entertaining.  

CREATES SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO

If you have a long day ahead of you, having something to look forward can make a huge difference. Once you launch a blog, you’ll have hundreds of ideas running through your head in terms of potential blog posts. This builds excitement and anticipation, and there’s nothing better than envisioning your ideas and knowing you can make them come to life.

Bailey Black

Virginia Tech

I'm a Virginia Tech junior pursuing a major in Public Relations; a minor in Dress, Culture, and Society; and a minor/cognate in Marketing and Event Management. You can usually find me blogging, taking photos, listening to music, playing with makeup, organizing my planner or cooking up a healthy meal. I love giving advice on beauty, fashion, health and the college lifestyle, and I'm so thankful to be working with Her Campus!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!