This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018. Get ready for the women’s figure skating short program for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. After watching the team event this past week, I have felt that it’s going to be an intense competition between two skaters in particular, Evgenia Medvedeva and Alina Zagitova.

This is Evgenia Medvedeva, the 18 year old from Russia who just recently set a world record for the highest score for her short program in the Olympic team event this past Sunday with a score of 81.06 (1).

And this is Alina Zagitova, a 15 year old, also from Russia, who just had a technically perfect freeskate performance this past Sunday as well, with a score of 158.08, beating Mirai Nagasu even though Mirai landed a triple axel (2).

Other than being part of the Olympic Athletes of Russia, the girls have the same coach, Eteri Tutberidze. After seeing these two make a dominant entrance into the Olympics with their flawless programs, earning a 1st place spot in the categories they competed in, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top when they have to compete against each other this coming Tuesday. The only other person I could possibly see as a threat against these two is Kaetlyn Osmond of Team Canada who is ranked 2nd right now on the event list (3).

Image Sources: 1/2/3

So you want to know more about me? Awesome. I'm a sophomore majoring in Business and Information Technology but I promise my interests are not all related to my major. Some of these interests include fashion, art , history, politics,and current events. I'm not really sure what I have planned for my future, but I hope I end up living in one of those trendy apartments in NYC. But for now, I'm just taking life day by day.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!