West Coast to East Coast Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Being from California and living in Virginia, the differences between the two states are easy to spot. From In-N-Out to Five Guys and one season versus four, the west coast and east coast have differences that many can easily pick out. Another one of these differences is fashion. Like many locations, individuals tend to dress according to the weather. In Los Angeles the coolest that it will ever get is 60, but Blacksburg on the other hand…(a whole other story). The best thing about living in two completely different places and seeing the differences in fashion allows me to incorporate an effortless Cali girl style, while maintaining the sophisticated and classic style that East Coast ladies love.

Cali Girl Cool

Being from the heart of Southern California, I love seeing the different kind of outfits that girls like to wear. From the years of moving back and forth from the West Coast to the South to the East Coast, I have always observed that California style is the definition of being simple, yet cool. One of the main brands that sticks out to me that screams “West Coast” is Brandy Melville. From high waisted shirts, flowy dresses, and dainty crop tops, the store has a selection of clothing that you would see on almost every girl in California. Aside from being simple, many girls like to incorporate grungy or boho accents to simple outfits. Chokers, plaid, high top Vans, Chucks, ripped jeans, denim, and hats are part of the effortless, “cool girl”. The more distressed, the better including loosely done braids, beachy hair, and natural make-up that emphasize that golden tan that I am starting to lose. Stores like Free People and Urban Outfitters are a few of the others stores that inspire the laidback look.

East Coast Enchantment

From cozy sweaters in the fall, big furry coats in the winter, skirts in the spring, and sundresses in the summer, the East Coast has a variety of fashion seasons that allow style to be so diverse. Observing East Coast fashion and the lovely ladies of Virginia Tech, I have analyzed that being classy, sophisticated, and preppy are all attributes of style. This fall season, ponchos, vests, monogram necklaces, chunky scarves, and boots are all classic pieces that keep cooler weather fun in fashion. Off the shoulder tops and accessories play a huge role in achieving the preppy style that East Coasters tend to go for. Lilly Pulitzer, Tory Burch, Nordstrom, and LOFT are a few of the stores that can help you achieve the classic look.

Whether you’re from the West Coast, South or East Coast, don’t forget to incorporate your own personal style on campus!

Madison Burke

Virginia Tech

My name is Madison Burke and I am currently a Fashion Merchandising and Design Major at Virginia Tech. Aside from being a busy college student, I love combining my passion for fashion and writing and sharing it with the lovely ladies that follow Her Campus. My likes include Sushi, Chanel, exercising, and make up...oh and of course Southern California weather.
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.